Diy ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbonebrewingco

Reaction score
Has anyone built a keg themselves?
I work at a stainless pipe weld shop and me and some of the guys were discussing making custom sized kegs.
For the most part is should be pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure how to do the opening for filling and cleaning.
Also not sure where to get the threaded toes for the posts.
Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Now to figure out how to deal with the lid...

What Diameter keg are you looking for? The cost might be prohibitive but consider a RJT/DIN fitting and blank
DIN_Fitting_2010.jpg
+
DIN_Fitting_2004_05.jpg
+
DIN_Fitting_2030.jpg
+
DIN_Fitting_2003.jpg

There was this post here but it looks like some of it has been deleted because all I can find is replies to the original thread.

Basically the OP cut a hole in the top of a sankey the same shape as a corny lid and it sealed just fine. Then they installed the previously suggested CHI fittings by putting the nipple through a hole from the inside with an o-ring pressing against the top to seal it so it was a weldless install. I think the posts had an additional o-ring between the base of the post and the top of the keg so tightening the post to seal the nipple wouldn't damage the top of the keg.

Back