DIY Auber BIAB kit; Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingiwasfishing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a kit from Auber, it's the BIAB kit here.

Earlier I ran through basic checks, without the heating element, and everything seemed to go well. I had to change a few parameters, but that wasn't too bad.

Today I filled the system with water and decided to do the heating test as well, element hooked up.

When the element is hooked up, I turn the box on everything seems to go good to this point. I flip the heating element switch to ON and I hear the contactor, but the element light does NOT come on and the element DOES NOT heat up.

If I turn the box off and run these exact same sequence, with the heating element NOT plugged in, when I flip the element switch on the element light DOES NOT come on, and the heating element DOES NOT heat up.

any suggestions?

thanks,
Dan

I have one of those, it was built by my request before they listed the controller or kit.

I'm am curious, did they include schematic drawings or other visual aids?

I'm sure they can help and guide you. They are good that way, I know first hand.

Okay, I'm going to go downstairs and run verify all the wiring and connections. I wonder if there are any programming settings that I'm missing?

I'm not sure about posting the schematic, because it was purchased from Auber...I'm reluctant to posting it, not being mine. Auber emailed me this morning, I just sent a response back with the questions they asked.

I can't see any wiring problems, the connections appear to be good too. With the heater element unplugged, the heater element light does come on when I flip the heater switch. With the heating element plugged in the heater indicator does not come on (heater switch is illuminated). Also, the light on the SSR does not come on with the "out" of the PID.

I've gone over the wiring to the PID and the input seems to be good, to 7 & 8 of the PID. The output seems to go through the appropriate connections. Contactor does trip

Is there a setting or something I could be missing?

thanks!!!!!
Dan

Looks like I got a cycling 12.8VDC across PID 7 & 8, also 12.8 cycled VDC across the input terminals of the SSR. I am in communication with Auber as well.

Dan

After going back and forth with Auber's help and suggestions...it's solved!

SSR input polarity was switched. I was coming out of the PID correctly, pin 7 & 8, and going to the wrong SSR input pins 3 & 4. Examined, verified the SSR pin number with the 2352 instructions, verified pin on SSR...hooked it up and we're good to go.

Thanks Auber...thanks HBT!

Dan

photobucket seems to be down...not sure if these photos will show up...

test%20and%20tune%202_zps29qovs32.jpg

test%20and%20tune_zpsccwurowr.jpg

I messed with auto tune several times and was not that happy (complete waste of time imo). I contacted Auber Ins. by email and gave me these settings which are P=350, I=40, d=2 and t=2 which are awesome. I also set the PID to display celsius so I can see fractions of degrees.

I messed with auto tune several times and was not that happy (complete waste of time imo). I contacted Auber Ins. by email and gave me these settings which are P=350, I=40, d=2 and t=2 which are awesome. I also set the PID to display celsius so I can see fractions of degrees.

Interesting, I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks

Back