DIY 7-Tap 3" Black Pipe Draft Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipCT

Brewniversity student
Reaction score
I've been planning this for some time. I really like the tappedbeer.com towers, but just didn't want to pay their prices. Though their work is awesome, and their prices reasonable for what you get, I am just a cheap bastard and I was pretty sure I could do it myself.

I didn't underestimate the type and caliber of work required, and there was no way I was going to undertake the metalshop work. I have neither the tools or the skills. So, like most of my DIY projects, there was a portion that I subbed out.

I did all the design (to be clear - stole all the design ideas from tappedbeer) and prepared the shop drawings and, after talking to a few people, found the right metal shop with a guy who was willing to do the work cheaply, but who was obsessively fixated on precision and quality. And it shows. The work he did was crazy. Suited me perfectly.

Here's a before shot of the pieces that I assembled, followed by after shots showing the work.

20150220_174454_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150220_174640_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150220_174652_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150220_174710_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150220_174720_Birch Rd.jpg

20150220_180056.jpg

Your machinist did an immaculate job...

Gotta love people that take that degree of care & pride in their work..

Did the final assembly yesterday. Fabricated foam insulation inserts. Mounted elbow shanks onto faucet panels. Ran bev lines.

Installing onto kegerator today.

20150418_163421_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163456_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163437_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163521_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163704_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163732_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163750_Flicker Ln.jpg

Hawthorne, my machinist, who has become a friend in the process of building this thing, came over to help install it this morning.

Things we so smoothly due to his experience and confidence marking, pilot drilling, drilling out and finally tapping the mounting holes. He fabricated special mounting bolts to maintain the real look of a full 5/8" bolt, yet carry a 1/4" by 28 threaded rod into the kegerator top. His work has been genius.

End result - well - see for yourself.

20150419_085414_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_094032_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_094130_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_095953_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_100502_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_102057_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_121623_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150419_121650_Flicker Ln.jpg

I got the faucets and shanks at my LHBS, Maltose Express in Monroe, CT. Hope that helps.

This looks very good. Im gonna keep this idea in mind the next time im at the machine shop. I think making a partially completed (all mill, drill and forming work) but modular kit for DIYers may be neat, and a good cost compromise as well.

Hawthorne, my machinist, who has become a friend in the process of building this thing, came over to help install it this morning.

Things we so smoothly due to his experience and confidence marking, pilot drilling, drilling out and finally tapping the mounting holes. He fabricated special mounting bolts to maintain the real look of a full 5/8" bolt, yet carry a 1/4" by 28 threaded rod into the kegerator top. His work has been genius.

End result - well - see for yourself.

Would your machinist be willing to make the bolts for others doing similar projects? I'm in RI. Thanks

Would your machinist be willing to make the bolts for others doing similar projects? I'm in RI. Thanks

I'm sure he would but just keep in mind, he's a real pro with a full machine shop and gets professional machine-shop rates so don't expect the work to be free. Still, I found him quite reasonable for the quality.

PM me for contact details.

Care to post dimensions so we can replicate? Awesome setup!

Sure. I'll look for the folder with those drawings and post. Warning - the drawings were all hand-drawn by me, so not professional, but Hawthorne didn't seem to have any problem understanding them.

I love the look of this and it's industrial design!

A few questions, what is the height and total width. IE : how long of black pipe nipples did you buy?

What is the point of the cutout with the plate over it instead of just mounting the faucets right to the pipe?

Thanks!

Finished this tap few weeks ago. I used a lot of the same ideas/design as philipmeese. I used the front cut out for access and future shank/line servicing. I originally planned to drill/mount the shanks directly to the black pipe, but realized that I could miss drill a hole and cause the taps not to lineup.

s400_479712889079de4537eafe5631285.jpg

s400_479712889073494537eae89897528.jpg

Finished this tap few weeks ago. I used a lot of the same ideas/design as philipmeese. I used the front cut out for access and future shank/line servicing. I originally planned to drill/mount the shanks directly to the black pipe, but realized that I could miss drill a hole and cause the taps not to lineup.

Is the plate rolled sheet metal or scrap pipe?

Great looking tap gang. I like those end pieces. I used a "T" configuration to match with the existing through-holes in my kegerator.

I love the look of this and it's industrial design!

A few questions, what is the height and total width. IE : how long of black pipe nipples did you buy?

What is the point of the cutout with the plate over it instead of just mounting the faucets right to the pipe?

Thanks!

As I recall, the middle nipple was 10" and the sides weren't much shorter - but maybe 9". I picked those dimensions so I could match the down-pipes to existing through-the-top-holes in my kegerator.

I looked at a million different tap gangs and finally figured that the minimum distance between faucets was about 2-1/4", then I calculated everything backwards from there.

The main reason to use the plate, instead of just mounting directly into holes the pipe, is that you can remove the plate and change out or muck with the tubing in back of the shank more easily.

Which shanks did you use? Elbow or just a short regular?

Awesome job! I'm looking to make mine almost identical. My question is would it be possible to have the removable panel on the back only(out of sight) and have only tap holes on the front?

Awesome job! I'm looking to make mine almost identical. My question is would it be possible to have the removable panel on the back only(out of sight) and have only tap holes on the front?

You could, but it might be tricky getting your fingers in there to work with the back parts of the faucets. That panel, with the faucets mounted on it makes working with the faucets drop-dead simple. You just pop the retaining screws and it comes right out with all the hose and shanks right there.

IMO the panel only enhances from the overall industrial design effect.

Last edited:
Found the shop drawings I did - such as they are...

Note: I had purchased and dry-fitted (with plumbers goo so they wouldn't seize) the 3" black pipe pieces together the way I wanted them. Then I delivered the assembly to my shop guy. So the instructions are meant for him.

One note about the 7/8" holes: when he cut them, he cut them EXACTLY 7/8" and my shanks didn't quite fit. He said that I should have told him that I needed to fit a 7/8" shank into the hole and he would have cut it a few thousandths wider. As it turned out, I reamed the wholes out with a round file for about 30 seconds and everything fit perfectly.

On my "T" configuration, the pipe lengths were:
  • Side pieces: 8"
  • Center piece: 10"
  • Risers: 10"

View attachment SteampunkBlackPipeTapGang-TechDrawings-PDM.pdf

Last edited:

Hi, I'm also looking on making a draft system like yours. Mind if I ask where you got the Kegerator? :)

I have Been lurking long enough. Time just to ask. I really like the your set up and am finishing up only needing to buy pipe. I regularly fill growlers off my system if there enough room with your set up to do so? How long are the different sections of Pipe?

I have Been lurking long enough. Time just to ask. I really like the your set up and am finishing up only needing to buy pipe. I regularly fill growlers off my system if there enough room with your set up to do so? How long are the different sections of Pipe?

I think I uploaded drawings earlier in the thread that lay that out. I think the middle section is 10" and the ends are 9". I actually found the order form for all the pipe sections so let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll scan and upload that.

I totally fill growlers all the time off my system. Literally every time we leave the house to a party or a dinner with friends. I don't know what I'd do with all the beer otherwise !!!

I think I uploaded drawings earlier in the thread that lay that out. I think the middle section is 10" and the ends are 9". I actually found the order form for all the pipe sections so let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll scan and upload that.

I looked at the fabrication request it details out the cuts but not the pipe lengths.
The order form would help but don't go out your way.
I am having trouble finding 3" pipe so knowing where you got it may help me. Ball bark how much did you spend on the pipe only?

so to confirm
Sides 9"
Center 10"
what size are the "legs"?

Back