Diving in to Homebrewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theothermillion

For the love of beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy from the mountains of Virginia! I just started getting into homebrewing this year (used the stimulus check to get the gear) and I'm quickly becoming obsessed. Looking forward to hanging around here!

My setup is for making 5gal batches using BIAB setup with a 10gal Anvil kettle and 7gal Fermonster. I just got in a second 6gal Fermonster so that I can start doing secondary's and have 2 beers going at the same time. For now, I'm bottling everything.

My first beer used the Homework #1 from Ballast Point recipe and I thought it turned out great for a first run (messed up measuring the gravity.) I currently have an Arrogant Bastard Clone working in the fermenter which will get bottled next week (will be ready to drink just in time for Christmas!). Next up will be Stones 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Stout which I'm really looking forward to. If you can't tell, I love big beers.

Welcome aboard. Lots of good info and reading here.
Glad you made the dive in but as you are already learning it’s a really high dive that you can never seem to get to the bottom of.

Welcome aboard. Lots of good info and reading here.
Glad you made the dive in but as you are already learning it’s a really high dive that you can never seem to get to the bottom of.

I'm defiantly learning that! My current project to improve my process is to find a place to put a fermentation box. Leaning towards my crawl space since I have a section with plenty of head room and it's sealed and insulated. Already have plenty of foam board left over from having it sealed!

Welcome to the forum. TONS of good info here. I have yet to ask a question that hasnt been answered in an easy to understand way. I still consider myself a newbie. The group here is great. Glad to hear you are enjoying the hobby. So addicting.

Welcome from another rookie. I thought my Irish Stout would be ready for Christmas, but now I'm worried it may be gone by then :D

Good luck! Sounds like you are all in on the hobby! Quick tip- unless you have very specific requirements, your beer will probably turn out better without using the secondary at all.

no harm done though....just make 2x the beers!

Good luck! Sounds like you are all in on the hobby! Quick tip- unless you have very specific requirements, your beer will probably turn out better without using the secondary at all.

no harm done though....just make 2x the beers!

Main reason for wanting to a secondary is for beers with special requirements, specifically I really want to make a Belgium Quad and wouldn't want to leave a beer sitting in the primary fro 6 months.

My next wishlist purchase is to get x2 3gal fermenters so that I can do A/B secondaries with barrel aging and dry hoping.

Back