Distillers parrot for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's gorgeous! I have no idea what you're talking about using it for. A mash tun is typically measured in gallons, not deciliters.

I was thinking about using it as you were draining the wort from the mash tun into the kettle to check the OG.

Okay, that makes more sense :) I can see where it would be useful for monitoring the gravity when you're sparging. Not so much when just draining the mash tun.

I understand that, but if you take steps in a batch Sparge you could monitor it more closely after each sparge addition. But that also might be unnecessary if you batch sparge well enough to ensure you have the correct gravity. So in the end this would be a solution for someone who’s been having problems with it.

Looks cool, but probably why you don't see it in breweries. I have seen it in distilleries.

I agree, but it might still be useful. The reason I made this thread is to debate uses for it in brewing or to see if it has no use at all.

I understand that, but if you take steps in a batch Sparge you could monitor it more closely after each sparge addition. But that also might be unnecessary if you batch sparge well enough to ensure you have the correct gravity. So in the end this would be a solution for someone who’s been having problems with it.

Okay, good luck and I hope it works for you. In my opinion it won't be very effective for anything.

You really need to monitor sparge that close?

I agree but it still might be useful in coupled with a practice like I described in a comment.

If you feel so strongly then do it. Why get so defensive when somebody disagrees when you ask for opinions. lol Sorry that not everyone agrees. I still think this is a huge waste.

Okay, good luck and I hope it works for you. In my opinion it won't be very effective for anything.

You really need to monitor sparge that close?

Personally I have been having some trouble with it, nothing some practice won’t fix. I was just a question that popped into my head and unless it has some profound impact on my brewing I probably won’t be using it.

If you feel so strongly then do it. Why get so defensive when somebody disagrees when you ask for opinions. lol Sorry that not everyone agrees. I still think this is a huge waste.

Oh I’m not getting defensive, it’s just some healthy debate to get some creative juices flowing.

Cool. My opinion it won't work how you would like. Only way to prove it is to use it to satisfy your own knowledge.

Right, who knows maybe someone else has used it and will stumble upon this thread. Goodluck with your future brews!

It looks like the wort would be flowing throught the parrot rather than taking a static sample from time to time. Is this correct? If so, it seems like it exposes the wort to hot-side aeration and oxidation. That issue aside it could be usefull for a continuos sparge operation since sparging is typically stopped when the wort reaches a gravity of about 1.010.

I do not monitor my gravity while sparging, I sparge to volume and call it good! I am not a commercial brewery that needs to be perfect for every batch of beer. In fact I enjoy subtle variations caused by technique changes such as mash temp...

A Hydrometer is susceptible to temperature. (Mine reads H2O 1.000 at 60 degrees fahrenheit) What temperature are you transferring your wort to your boil kettle? A parrot with Alcoholometer is used at the collection point after the distillate has been cooled to change from a vapor to liquid, Usually less than 80 degrees fahrenheit, so temperature correction isn't so much of a factor. (Here's a link for temp correction http://learntomoonshine.com/temperate-correction-for-alcohol-hydrometer.. I would be more concerned with oxygenation of the wort being transferred to the Boil Kettle at a low enough temperature to get an accurate reading from an inline hydrometer in a distilling parrot. If you do "drop a cold glass hydrometer into a hot liquid you may have more than hops in your boil kettle...However, I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, just let us know how it turns out. :)

Back