Distillers malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alekrusher

Reaction score
I accidentally bought a 10lb bag of this somehow thinking it was 2 row. Does anyone know if I could use this instead? It's from briess & the bag says its exceptionally fermentable. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

I did some looking at the Briess website. They indicated that the Distiller's Mailt has a 2.4 Lovibond color. It also has a lot of Diastiatic Power (I should know what that means, but here the meaning escapes me). Anyway, I would use this in a beer like 2 Row, and see what the beer tastes like. I am sure that you will be fine.

I am assuming that you would use this in an all-grain brew. If you are not all grain brewing, but partial mashing or doing an extract brew, I would still use this like a 2 Row malt. I would love to see the results.

Mark

I accidentally bought a 10lb bag of this somehow thinking it was 2 row. Does anyone know if I could use this instead? It's from briess & the bag says its exceptionally fermentable. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

It might be better to use this as you would 6 row. The high diastatic ability would be best utilized to convert starches from oats or other adjuncts that don't have the enzymes to do it for themselves.

You could also use it for what it's designed for. . . . just don't tell the revenuers. :mug:

To some degree, malted barley is malted barley. The toast/roast (whatever) determines the final color and flavor (maltiness).

At Austin Homebrew I see grains listed at:
Pilsen - 1.0 L
2-row 1.8 L
Pale Ale 3.5 L
Munich 4-7 L

Now just by color, that puts the Distillers Malt (with 2.4 L) between 2-row and pale malt.

But, look at the diastiatic power:
Pilsen - 140 DP
2-row - 140 DP
Pale Ale - 85 DP
Munich - 40 DP

The Distiller's malt is 250 DP, so there is something different about how it is produced.

Mashing it by itself, would I be wrong to assume it could either mash faster or more completely?
It could handle a larger addition of non malted additions than the other malts.

I would be tempted to consider it as either a dark Pilsen or 2-row addition in a recipe.
It should make beer. No idea of any flavor difference.

Thanks for all the input. No risk,no reward. Gonna use it in a partial mash & see what happens. Cheers

Back