disposing of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
how does everyone get rid of their yeasty waste when their done brewing? I got into the habit of dumping it down the drain in my bathtub, but I feel pretty bad doing it (yeas is supposed to be a strain on sanitation services)

what is the best way for me to dump the remainders of my yeast?

I'm starting to look into reusing my yeast through "yeast washing". There's several threads about it on here.

For some of my simple pales and ipa's, I've racked on top of the yeast cake from the last batch. I only do this if the two beers are similar, as to avoid off flavors from sediment. Some people on here will tell you to do this only if the first batch was below a certian OG. I havn't got that picky yet.

Most times, I dump my cake in my yard with the rest of my compost. It's rather humorous that the yeast is on top of my spent grains.

There are some very informative videos on YouTube about yeast washing. As far as racking onto a prior yeast cake I have not had the chance to try this yet but I'm looking forward to it.

If I don't plan on harvesting or using the yeast cake I just throw it in the lawn.

I love yeast cakes though. Nothing like dumping a finished mash on top of a fresh yeast cake. You know the yeast is still viable and fermentation usually starts within hours.

Latest posts

Back