Dispensing Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtotz89

Reaction score
So I just picked up a used ball lock keg from a buddy. I have been using a pin lock for awhile with no real dispensing problems. With the ball lock, it seems like if my PSI in the regulator is about 2 or 3 psi, the beer pretty much explodes when I try to poor it out of the tap, leaving me with nothing but a glass full of foam. Can anyone explain this problem to me? Is my balancing off? I have tried to play around with different lengths of 3/16 ID and 5/16 ID hoses, but its always the same problem.

So I myself had a ball lock tap that ALWAYS gave me loads of foam! Tore me UP! I trouble shot it to death, swore it was my tap (I've got three and the other two worked perfectly) so I ordered a new tap. Same problem.
Finally observed that when I pulled the tap there was turbulence right downstream of the ball lock. I ended up taking it off and REALLY looking at the ball lock fitting. The ball lock fitting where the hose to the tap is connected was never drilled out completely. It was a partial hole that restricted the flow VERY unevenly! It was causing alllll the foam!! I simply drilled it out (it's plastic of course) to the correct I.D. and it works perfectly now!!
I really hope this is the problem for you cause it's a really easy fix.
Cheers!

Oh so your saying it could the the actual ball lock connection that I'm putting on the keg? I'll have to take a look at that.

yep, my particular problem was the ball lock connection itself. the outlet of the ball lock had not been drilled cleanly and was causing a pressure drop of some kind right at that fitting. Foam developed in the hose right at the fitting and by the time it hit the tap... well I had a glass of foam that took several minutes to settle down and give me a quarter glass of beer. : )

Ive taken the fitting apart and didnt see anything that looked wrong or broken. I have a spare ball lock keg and my buddies house. Ill try swapping the liquid out fitting with that and see if it changes anything

Back