Dispensing Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm simply not "thinking outside the box" here (and I know people prefer StarSan, which is what I might go with next time) but I bought a huge bottle of Iodophor and I'm wondering how people dispense the Iodophor. Since it calls for a teaspoon per 1.5 gallons of water, I'm literally using a teaspoon and I spilled all over the place.

Any tips/tricks on dispensing the Iodophor?

Cheers,
JWiC

I put it in a smaller bottle. In fact for years it was my first bottle of iodophor that came with my kit. Later I got some sort of wide mouthed rubbermade salad dressing bottle. That workes great to use an eyedropper style medicine dropper to pull out the right amount for my batches.

Iodophor-16.9-oz-Dispensing-Pump-web.jpg

i use a syringe the vet gave us to treat our dogs stinky ears, if I remember right the correct amount is 3cc/ gallon

I use a smaller bottle and just refill that. Then I pour from that into one of the those medicine cups that comes with liquid medicine. The have the tablespoons marked right on them.

+1 Definitely a syringe.

1ml per liter of water. I usually fill my spray bottle with water, then open the bottle of iodophor and pull some into the syringe, adjusting the volume down to 1 ml, then shoot that into the spray bottle, and suck up some of the water a few times to rinse out the syringe.

I think it is Austin Homebrew that has a threaded pump, like the ones on hand soap. Each pump is enough for 2.5 gallons of water IIRC. That's what I have used forever, works well. You may be able to find a pump that fits around the house.

+1 on the syringe. I've got one for pretty much anything I mix like Iodophor, StarSan, BLC, fuel stabilizer, 2cycle oil, etc. The graduated medicine ones are nicest. Lest you be perceived a drug addict though, buy them in baby isle at the pharmacy. I make a sleeve to attach each syringe to the supply bottle it's used with by taking a short length of packing tape and wrap it semi-loosely BACKWARDS (yes, that's sticky side out) around the syringe, stick it to bottle where you want it, and then go over that with length of packing tape the wraps around the whole bottle. That way you've always got the right dispensing tool to mix up a batch. BTW, I came up with this technique because I was always loosing those little tubes on the WD40 cans. Haven't lost one of those in 10+ years now!

Oh and metering pumps sometimes called ratio pump, like the one shown earlier are nice too if you have a gallon or bigger supply bottle. They're easiest to fine where ever 2 part paints, epoxy resin, and fiberglassing supplies are sold. Marine supply stores will always have them.

I use a Mikro-Spray D-3 made by Klenzade. I bought it years ago at a dairy supply store in Michigan. It is made to use as an udder waher. It holds about 1/2 gallon of iodophor. When it is turned to wash, it injects a measured amount of iodophor into the line. If you look hard enough, you can find all the parts on-line. I'

I make a sleeve to attach each syringe to the supply bottle it's used with by taking a short length of packing tape and wrap it semi-loosely BACKWARDS (yes, that's sticky side out) around the syringe, stick it to bottle where you want it, and then go over that with length of packing tape the wraps around the whole bottle. That way you've always got the right dispensing tool to mix up a batch.

i do this also! a duct tape sleeve, and a little graduated plastic dropper (2.5 ml in 0.5 ml increments is great) sits right in it. the bottle sits in a little tupperware cup since somehow iodophor always finds its way onto the outside bottom of the bottle, and i'm sick of the brown ring.... err maybe i should rephrase that... and there's always a little bit that drips out after you've done (this has really turned quite disgusting) so the plastic tray catches it.

I use a Mikro-Spray D-3 by Klenzade. I bought it at a dairy supply store in Michigan. You fill the bowl with about 1/2 gallon of iodophor, turn it to wash and it injects a measured amount of iodophor into the line. The D-3 is used as an udder washer. The thing must be ordered by the part. I cannot find a source for the whole thing. The site I did find was http://www.mdvamilk.com/Warehouse/MdVaProductPriceList.pdf

They also sell Klenzade Iodophor II for about $10/gal which is what I use.

Back