dish washing bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So I have heard arguments about using dish soap for cleaning bottles and and most say not to do it because the soap film will leave off flavors in your beer. So should I stick with soaking them in my clear soap or save myself the time and use the dishwasher?

So I have heard arguments about using dish soap for cleaning bottles and and most say not to do it because the soap film will leave off flavors in your beer. So should I stick with soaking them in my clear soap or save myself the time and use the dishwasher?

Neither!

Use oxyclean or something like that for cleaning and star-san for sanitizing. If your dishwasher has a "sanitize" setting, you could use that for sanitizing but not for cleaning as the water spray just can't reach inside the bottles and clean them properly.

When I do use bottles, I soak them in oxy-clean free until all undesirable "stuff" come off then put them in the dish washer with NO soap (as the oxy-clean is detergent enough) the high heat steam the bottles and they turn out sparkly clean. Always splash with sanitizer before bottling your beer.

I have never used oxyclean do you have to use warm water with it or is cold ok. Reason I'm asking is I only have cold water in my brew shed for now.

I don't want to have to mix sanitizer every time I drink a beer.

I rinse them. Wash them in the dishwasher. Then I give them a scrub with a bottling brush and sanitize them on bottling day.

I don't want to have to mix sanitizer every time I drink a beer.

I rinse them. Wash them in the dishwasher. Then I give them a scrub with a bottling brush and sanitize them on bottling day.

I don't mix sanitizer very often at all. I make up a gallon of sanitizer every couple of months (star-san) and save it in a gallon jug.

I rinse bottles when I drink them. I rinse them well, and store upside down. On bottling day, I look inside, and if they are clean looking, I spritz with sanitizer and hang on the bottle tree.

No bottle brush, no scrubbing, nothing. It takes like 10 minutes, total.

As soon as I'm done with my bottles I rinse them with a bottles washer attachment in my shed then hang them on the bottle tree. I soak them with clear soap for 10 min and then sanitize. Is that sufficient.

I don't mix sanitizer very often at all. I make up a gallon of sanitizer every couple of months (star-san) and save it in a gallon jug.

I rinse bottles when I drink them. I rinse them well, and store upside down. On bottling day, I look inside, and if they are clean looking, I spritz with sanitizer and hang on the bottle tree.

No bottle brush, no scrubbing, nothing. It takes like 10 minutes, total.

This. A million times, this.

I simply rinse bottles as soon as I pour a beer (fill 2-3 times with tap water, and swirl them around). I made a custom drying rack out of plywood to dry them upside-down. Every couple of days, I put them away in a box for storage until the next bottling day. They get soaked in sanitizer before bottling.

Never used a bottle brush. Never scrubbed. Never used soap, oxyclean, bleach, or anything else. Never had an infection.

I'm still refining my process because I think it's a bit over cautious and redundant. I tend to wash and store bottles, and then wash them again when I'm ready to bottle. I have been using the dishwasher after oxyclean, and it gets them SUPER clean and shiny. I always soak in Starsan right before I bottle again.

I use PBW at 1.5oz per gallon of water in a 12 pack coler to de-label & clean the bottles. otherwise,the bottles I've been using get rinsed,scrubbed with a bottle brush & rinsed again. Then onto bottle tree to dry before storing in covered craft 12 pack boxes.

This. A million times, this.

I simply rinse bottles as soon as I pour a beer (fill 2-3 times with tap water, and swirl them around). I made a custom drying rack out of plywood to dry them upside-down. Every couple of days, I put them away in a box for storage until the next bottling day. They get soaked in sanitizer before bottling.

Never used a bottle brush. Never scrubbed. Never used soap, oxyclean, bleach, or anything else. Never had an infection.

yep same here! Rinse out the bottles after drinking and sanitize before refilling!

I suppose I could keep a bucket of starsan in the garage and that would work for 9 months out of the year. But my wife would kill me if I tried to shoehorn more brewing related items into the kitchen.

Back