Disastrous bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's 8:48 and I just finished bottling, after starting at 5:30. :) Here's the gory details:

• Forgot to sanitize my caps before I started
  • Realized that the bottling wand had been left dirty after my last bottling eight months ago
  • Found a spare racking cane, decided to swap the bottling head onto it
  • Got chased outside by SWMBO, decided to bottle behind the shed where it's in the shade
  • Realized that since I screwed up my volume into fermenter by an unknown amount, I'd have to rack to the bottling bucket (with volume measuring marks) before I could calculate bottling sugar
  • Realized I didn't have corn sugar and SWMBO nixed using the last of her table sugar :)
  • Found a bag of DME with mold all over the outside, washed it off and used that
  • Started bottling, found that half my bottles were Hobgoblin (I think) and my wing capper can't grip them high enough
  • Had a SNPA bottle snap off at the neck
  • Tubing popped off the racking cane/wand, beer went everywhere
  • Knocked several bottles over between filling and capping
  • A neighbor gave me a really weird look, and I missed dinner

It's not a total loss because I ended up with four and a half gallons of beer... but man. Never had most of these things happen before, let alone in the same batch! And losing two and a half pints of beer! Frig.

On the plus side, when I opened the beer cupboard to deposit my newly-carbing bottles. I found seven six-packs of bottles washed and ready to use. Awesome.

Man. I usually spill beer, drop caps and have to re sanitize, but it's nothing compared to you. At least you got some and it sounds like it'll be okay. It's over now so relax and drink up!

It's all good, and after putting together a quick spaghetti dinner I'm relaxing with a pint of Adnams. Can't wait for this batch to carb up, though. :)

Also, I forgot to mention that when I swapped the bottling cane tip, the spring and plastic valve fell out and through the porch floorboards. Spent ages under there with a flashlight before I found them.

I am one unprepared sumb&!@#.

sounds like a normal day for me, actualy yesterday I bottled my beer and I had it in a keg cooler out side so I decided to transfer to my bottling bucket instead of moving it, and I got about the 2 1/2 gal mark and it started to rain for about 10 sec on me

Back