Disaster Struck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey All,

Thought id share my brewday with ye all for your entertainment.

Brewed an American Brown ale on my grainfather. Everything was going just perfect. Great grain crush, efficiencies were high, wort had just the right colour.

then when I lifted the grain basket up, to begin the sparge the bottom of the grain basket fell through into the kettle along with the 7kg of grain.

As you can imagine this created a massive mess on my kitchen floor. The missus was not too happy at all. took me several hours to clean everything and get that sticky feeling gone from the floor.

So 4 hours wasted brewing, 2 and a bit wasted cleaning the mess and all that lovely grain and wort also wasted.

An utter and complete disaster.

What a bummer. I don't use a Grainfather (I use a Kal clone panel) but I am curious what caused the failure? Was it the way the basket sits on the grainfather when you sparge that was the source of the failure?

Yes the failure was caused by the rubber gasket which sits around the false bottom.

the rubber had come off which allowed the false bottom to fall into the kettle.

Yes the failure was caused by the rubber gasket which sits around the false bottom.

the rubber had come off which allowed the false bottom to fall into the kettle.

This is one of my biggest grievances when it comes to the Grainfather. First of all, why not just give us a pre-welded false bottom? That motherfarker is damn near impossible to get into place, the rubber gasket keeps sliding off, and then this kind of stuff happens. Happened to me to once, that exact damn thing and i nearly blew my lid off. Sorry for your loss, buddeh!

This is one of my biggest grievances when it comes to the Grainfather. First of all, why not just give us a pre-welded false bottom? That motherfarker is damn near impossible to get into place, the rubber gasket keeps sliding off, and then this kind of stuff happens. Happened to me to once, that exact damn thing and i nearly blew my lid off. Sorry for your loss, buddeh!

Thanks, yes, I wondered how often this happened to other people, I thought I couldn't be the only one for it to happen to.

Great point, perhaps they should have the welded false bottom to stop this happening

Back