Disassemble Ball Lock Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using the same ball locks disconnects since I started kegging my beer several years ago, and I've never disassembled them for cleaning. I've always noticed the slot in the back and figured they could be opened up with a screwdriver, but never ventured any further. Today I did an Internet search to actually see the process to take them apart and it's definitely doable but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Instead, I clean my beer lines after every key with BLC solution and a five minute flush. Then I rinse with clean water to remove the BLC. Once I'm ready to keg my next batch, I fill the keg with Starsan solution and flush it out through the ball lock disconnect and through my faucet into a bucket. I'll do this within 24hrs of the keg kicking and leave the fridge running so the beer in the lines and fittings doesn't get a chance to funk up. Is my process sufficient or would you recommend taking the disconnects apart from time to time for a deep cleaning?

I periodically take the liquid QDs apart to inspect/clean. How often depends on where they're being used. On kegs, not as often. For transferring from conical to keg, after each use. IME, with how easy they are to take apart, the few moments it takes is worth the effort.

I have some of the plastic QDs as well as some of the older generation stainless ones. The stainless come apart different than the plastic ones. But also need to be done from time to time.

I also have one gas QD that I use when filling kegs that gets taken apart each use. Mostly because I'm not able to run cleaning solution through it otherwise.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what you think is needed and how things are used. With you running solution through the liquid QDs with each cleaning cycle the need to do a break down is less. I'd still want to do it every so often. Maybe every few (or several) kegs. If nothing else to inspect the o-rings to make sure they're still 100%. It would suck to not do that and have one degrade enough to leak.

I would.
It is really simple and may uncover a little bit of crud hiding on the spring or pop-it pin.
I clean mine with every batch, only takes ten seconds to assemble and disassemble.

So I'm definitely going to take them apart next time I have to switch out a keg. I haven't had an infection yet, but if there gunk hiding in there, it seems simple enough to clean it out.

Anyone have any issues after taking their disconnects apart? Any leaking or trouble getting them back to original working condition?

So I'm definitely going to take them apart next time I have to switch out a keg. I haven't had an infection yet, but if there gunk hiding in there, it seems simple enough to clean it out.

Anyone have any issues after taking their disconnects apart? Any leaking or trouble getting them back to original working condition?
Most importantly, don't lose any parts. Disassemble over a large cup or other (plastic) container, not over the sink.
You need a screwdriver that fits into the groove on the top (lid).

Mind the order of the internal parts when disassembling. Or use one of the diagrams that floats around, when reassembling.*

There's a flat profile rubber ring under rim of the screw lid. Remove it to clean.

Then when reassembling, make sure to seat that flat o-ring back over that screw lid first. It may curl a little, that's OK, it will straighten out when you tighten the lid.

Lube both o-rings (keg lube).
Reassemble the stack upside down, lid > o-ring > spring > poppet (with o-ring pointing up*).
Then slide the body over the stack and give the lid a turn so it holds. Invert, and tighten the lid.

* One of the most used diagrams has an error. The poppet should have the o-ring side pointing up when reassembling the stack, so it makes the seal with the bottom of the disconnect body.

It's harder to describe than actually do it.

I flush my tap lines every keg with hot water in a pony keg. About every 6-12 months I will disassemble the faucets and QD for complete cleaning.

I disassemble and clean mine after every brew/transfer. Otherwise, I have found that moisture stays in the tubing and I have had it turn to mold. I have also lost many flat o-rings, "down the drain." I buy them by the dozen now. One thing I have always wondered about though are the pins. That is, are the gas and liquid pins interchangeable"?

I take mine completely apart every time I kick a keg. You will be surprised how dirty yours will be when you finally tear them apart. I also clean my tap and tap lines after every keg too. I figure I spend all of my time and money on brewing beer, why take the chance of spoiling the flavor lurking in tiny parts and lines.

Back