Disappointing first taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
I have just had my first taste of my latest all grain brew which was a blonde. Oh dear oh dear. After 3 sips hoping I would suddenly realise its brilliance I had to admit defeat.

The taste is hard to describe. It was a heavy almost rotten bready flavour right at the back of my tongue. Really was undrinkable.

At the bottling stage it tasted bitter with strong citrus tones. Not bad at all.

I had some issues with chilling the wort afer boiling with this one so it spent far too long in the danger zone. Could this have caused the off flavours but they just didnt show themselves until after conditioning (3 weeks in the bottle)?

Is there any chance more time conditioning could improve the flavour?

Thanks!

David

If you are describing a breaddy taste my first inclination is the beer isn't full atenuated and could benefit from longer conditioning. I had that same problem with my oatmeal stout. But with a blonde it would be hard to pin point what it is exactly with out actually drinking it. There could be many causes of off flavored because a blonde is really crisp and refreshing and very mellow flavor. Manny kinds of off flavors could be dominating. But from your description I would say let sit for another week or two and try another one.

Certainly give it more time.

By chance did you pour the dregs?

Then how was your fermentation temps? What yeast did you use?

Ive been thinking more about the flavour and im thinking wax...if wax could be considered a flavour?! Its hard to pinpoint. Primary was at 70 for 4 weeks then same temp in the bottle for 3. Yeast was Safbrew Abbaye.

Im really thinking a bacterial infection got in during the botched cooling process. There is also visible 'bits' in suspension when the majority is completely clear.

Really think theres a chance it could improve? Im pretty new to all grain brewing so theres bound to be a few disappointed taste buds! but i've got a nice weiss im drinking now, an IPA conditioning (that tasted amazing when i tried it) and a saison thats soon ready for bottling....and tomorrow is brew day :ban:

Ive been thinking more about the flavour and im thinking wax...if wax could be considered a flavour?! Its hard to pinpoint. Primary was at 70 for 4 weeks then same temp in the bottle for 3. Yeast was Safbrew Abbaye.
The ideal fermentor temp (not room temp) is listed at 59-68F for this yeast.

If by chance your room temp was the 70F, then you were a bit too warm (fermentor temp 75+), so that's one possible cause.

Thanks for the responses. I assumed there would be a couple of degrees difference in the fermenter but I didnt realise 5+. So the given fermenting temps in recipes are for the fermenter itself rather than the location?

So to clarify.... the little basement space I have (shared apartment building) which registers a constant 61F would produce an ideal fermenting temp (for the majority of yeasts i'll be using anyway)?

Also... does the bottle conditioning temp vary from yeast to yeast aswell? Or am I ok just holding them at room temp? (Im sure I could look this up but as you're here...)

Thanks

David.

Your basement would be perfect for most ales. I would bottle condition at room temp, but for longer term storage your basement will again be better to prevent staling.

There is also visible 'bits' in suspension when the majority is completely clear.
+1 to the "did you get dregs in your pour" question

A blonde won't be able to do much to hide the bready yeast flavors. I like to refrigerate and leave still for 2-3 days before I open a bottle conditioned bottle just to make sure any yeast that was still in suspension had a chance to drop out.

Back