Disappointing Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelcollins

Reaction score
Ok this is a first for me. Water chemistry is fine, I think. Never had a problem. While brewing some of my seasonal pumpkin ale, I look into the refractometer, and guess what--1.045 OG! I was aiming for 1.055. Again, I don't think its my water unless the alkilinity has gone up severely since my last brew.
My mash temp was about a degree too high. Perfectly acceptable variation, so I don't think that was it (unless my thermometer threw craps). I batch sparged twice with 170 degree water. Stirred like a mother, like I always do. Was proud of my sparge technique this time, in fact I thought it was a big improvement over my last time.

My grain crush--used the same method as always and thought I had a decent crush. At least, think I did.

Here's the kicker. I overestimated my water loss on the boil. In the end, I ended up with nearly 6 gallons in the primary. My recipe was for a 5 gallon batch. My questions are as follows:

Could ending up with too much wort have dropped my efficiency so signaficantly? Or might I be dealing with another problem?

Another question: when I am brewing a 5 gal recipe, should I be aiming for 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, or five gallons?

Last question: I added 1.3 cups of corn sugar to my pumpkin ale in hopes of getting the brix up. I added it after the fermentation started. (I did not get my refractor to a sample until next day--long story but just didn't). What do you think, was this a creative solution that may drive up my ABV? I'd like to get this beer to at least 5% ABV...I mean, if you are gonna brew...like to hit at least 5%. 4.5 would be ok too.

Look forward to any thoughts!

Sounds like solid process, low efficiency can be a bear to figure out. First I always aim for 5.5 gal to fermenter and if you leave some in the boiler but are calculating brewhouse efficiency on 5.5 gallons then you are leaving some behind and efficiency suffers. A better gauge mash efficiency is preboil, how were your numbers there? Also most problems stem from an inaccurate thermometer, one degree not such a big deal but five could be. I would start there, then look at your crush. Last I would say mash pH, but unless your water is crazy out of wack that's not usually gonna cost you more than a couple SG points, but it is important to a complete conversion.

samuelcollins said:
Could ending up with too much wort have dropped my efficiency so signaficantly? Or might I be dealing with another problem?

Yes, Your efficiency did not go down, your batch size went up! With 10# of grain your efficiency was about 73-75% either way.

I think you have a few things going on, first do you crush your own grain? It sounds like you do but just want to clarify. Second were you using your refractometer after pitching? If so it won't read correctly due to alcohol production started. And third if you ended up with a whole extra gallon you OG will definitely be low you have a whole extra gallon. I typically shoot for 5.5 in my fermenter. Sometimes I add an extra lb (for 10 gallons) of base malt to help with the extra .5 gallon of wort. Hope this helps.

I think you have a few things going on, first do you crush your own grain? It sounds like you do but just want to clarify. Second were you using your refractometer after pitching? If so it won't read correctly due to alcohol production started. And third if you ended up with a whole extra gallon you OG will definitely be low you have a whole extra gallon. I typically shoot for 5.5 in my fermenter. Sometimes I add an extra lb (for 10 gallons) of base malt to help with the extra .5 gallon of wort. Hope this helps.

Yep, crush my own. I used refractometer on unfermented sample. Pre- pich, but stored in fridge. Took a day for me to get my ref. Broke my hydrometer on brew day! That was the long story. Honestly, I really figured my OG would have been good. Must have just been too diluted.

Yes, Your efficiency did not go down, your batch size went up! With 10# of grain your efficiency was about 73-75% either way.

Ok, I used 11.5 lbs of grain. Did I do good, ending with 6 gal of wort at 1.045? I mean, if I ended with 5.5 gal would I have had my 1.060? How can I calculate what my efficiency would have been?

Without the recipe And knowing your process and transfer losses it's really just spit balling. But using 2-row 11.5lbs ending with 6gallons at 1.045. Beer alchemy shows a efficiency of 70%. But again that is setup for my brewing system. So that's just my 2cents.

Well, I guess I should have just went 12# on the grain. Hell, my HBSS the way they package always leaves me with .5 leftover. Lesson learned. Better high OG than low. And less leftovers. Won't do another 1.045 batch. Unacceptable.

samuelcollins said:
I look into the refractometer, and guess what--1.045 OG! I was aiming for 1.055.!

I've heard that only the Brix side of a refractometer can be trusted. Not sure if you do like I do and look at the gravity side. Anyway, my method moving forward will be to take the Brix reading and plug that number into a calculator to figure the OG.
Sounds like you had a bit more water left. So you likely came close to your target SG, but perhaps could have boiled a little longer to hit your OG. I usually take readings during the boil and stop when I hit my targeted OG.

Here is a rough calculation:

6 gal at 1.045 (your numbers)
Is 270 total points. (6 * 45)

That same sugar in 5 gal would have given you 1.054. (270 \ 5)

brewkinger said:
Here is a rough calculation:

6 gal at 1.045 (your numbers)
Is 270 total points. (6 * 45)

That same sugar in 5 gal would have given you 1.054. (270 \ 5)

This. You have a volume problem, not an efficiency problem. Not that it will help you now, but at least for future batches you can adjust your sparge or boil accordingly. If you're really worried you could always boil up some DME to add 10 points to your 6 gallons...although I'd probably just let it go as-is and enjoy a more session able brew.

Latest posts

Back