Disadvantages to thin mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
I've been running my mash thin to make things work better with my RIMS system. I haven't noticed any difference after 3 brews, but are there any disadvantages of going from 1-1.5 qt per pound to 2 qts per pound when mashing??

You'll have less sparge water. Depending on your recipe that's not a huge deal, with a big grain bill it's a bummer

2 qts isn't too thin at all. In theory, if you go even thinner than 2 qts/lb, you could have a slower conversion time and a more fermentable mash.

If you want to increase the body you should go a little thicker. My friend uses a RIMS system at 1.5qt/lbs and it works pretty well.

I do about 1.5 quarts per pound. Actually, 1/3 gal per pound. I saw an slight increase in efficiency from this and will probably stick with it. I use that ratio for all of my beers.

I went with a little thinner because of the extra volume of hoses, pumps, RIMS tube, etc. I usually used a 1.5 qt per pound ratio before. I had a scorching problem with my first batch. I don't know why. The pump was running fine, but I may have started the heat too fast and had too many suspended solids in the mash before it cleared up. I have gotten incredible efficiency with the thinner mash. I was just wondering about undesirable flavors, tannins, etc.

your pH will be a little higher depending on the recipe.. otherwise, yeah.. only other thing is that you'll have less sparge water.

Thin mash is AOK.

You'll have less sparge water because you'll need less sparge water. In the end you're looking for a certain gravity in your BK at the start of your boil. How you get there is less important than being there.

Latest posts

Back