"Disabled Veteran" plates on luxury cars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
This might just be a local phenomenon, but I'm really wondering what the heck is going on here. First of all, I'm active duty USAF so I have nothing against veterans. I guess this is just as good of a place as any to ask so here goes...

Where I live (Augusta, GA area) 85% of the time I see a license plate with "Disabled Veteran" on it, they are either brand new vehicles or new-ish luxury cars. Yesterday I saw a Porsche hybrid with one, and when I saw a brand new 2013 Ram with all the trimmings, big suprise, DV plates.

It's not that I see luxury cars with DV plates that suprises me. I don't expect every actually-disabled veteran is going to be living on the streets rolling around on a skateboard. It's just that the majority of DV plates I see are attached to vehicles costing probably 40-60K.

My theory is that these people are 1) retired 2) claiming VA disability and importantly 3) still working. So they are getting their 50% base pay from the military, getting another 30-50% from the Veterans Administration and at the same time, working.

I'm an active duty E5 collecting almost $1000 a month extra in special pays, and I can't even afford these vehicles.

Then again, maybe someone else has a better explanation. Please!

Which begs the question... how much $$$ is the government shelling out for able bodied people and will the gravy train still be around when its my turn?

I guess it depends on the state in Wa you have to be 100% to get a DV plate. Most I assume also were higher ranking and moved into a cushy private sector job through military connections.

I made a nice chunk of change on my deployments between BAH and tax free money. In lieu of buying a nice car, i put it towards investments and a downpayment on a house. Buying a porsche, while not smart, was possible.

So, let me get this straight. "Disabled", is to imply that you are no longer allowed to work or continue to contribute to society? Even if someone were to be considered 100% disabled, would they not be allowed to hold a job of any type but instead must rely on the government to provide for their well being?

I have a coworker who gets partial disability because of an injury while in the navy. He had reconstructive surgery on his knee but I don't remember what his percentage of disability is. He gave up part of his physical ability for his country and gets a "reward" for it, although I'm sure he would much rather have full flexibility and capability in his knee. But even if he had full physical disability, he would still be able to hold a desk job and probably get paid well for it, considering he's a pretty intelligent guy and all. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't deserve a luxury car.

So it seems to be quite a coincidence. I wouldn't read too much into it. Everyone has their priorities, and there are more than enough people to tell them that they're all screwed up.

So, let me get this straight. "Disabled", is to imply that you are no longer allowed to work or continue to contribute to society? Even if someone were to be considered 100% disabled, would they not be allowed to hold a job of any type but instead must rely on the government to provide for their well being?

I have a coworker who gets partial disability because of an injury while in the navy. He had reconstructive surgery on his knee but I don't remember what his percentage of disability is. He gave up part of his physical ability for his country and gets a "reward" for it, although I'm sure he would much rather have full flexibility and capability in his knee. But even if he had full physical disability, he would still be able to hold a desk job and probably get paid well for it, considering he's a pretty intelligent guy and all. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't deserve a luxury car.

So it seems to be quite a coincidence. I wouldn't read too much into it. Everyone has their priorities, and there are more than enough people to tell them that they're all screwed up.

Hard to tell tone of comments you made there so I'm going to reserve judgment.

A good friend is a disabled vet. He and his wife both earn a few hundred k per year. They both got advanced degrees after his discharge, they sacrificed for many years to get where they are now and they've paid their dues.

ETA: and I don't know when the last time you shopped for new cars was, but $40k is just slightly more than entry level.

Seems to me that someone who lost their legs in combat could be a "disabled vet." Nothing to keep that person from being a Doc, a Lawyer, an Engineer, or business owner.

Being upset that a disabled vet can have a nice car, is like being upset that a black kid from the city can have a nice car....or a person that lives in 'the sticks' can dine at fine restaurants. Stereotypes are a bad thing. I'm a homebrewer....am I a drunk? Just some food for thought. When I was in my 20s, this kinda stuff drove me crazy too. But that age is long gone. I'm a lot more liberal and understanding than I used to be.

Hard to tell tone of comments you made there so I'm going to reserve judgment.

Being upset that a disabled vet can have a nice car, is like being upset that a black kid from the city can have a nice car....or a person that lives in 'the sticks' can dine at fine restaurants. Stereotypes are a bad thing. I'm a homebrewer....am I a drunk? Just some food for thought. When I was in my 20s, this kinda stuff drove me crazy too. But that age is long gone. I'm a lot more liberal and understanding than I used to be.

This was more or less where I was going with it. I realize now that it sounded rather dickish, but that wasn't my point.

Even discarding the fact that disabled people can live perfectly productive lives and own businesses, etc., there's the fact that as active duty military, you get the bulk of your living expenses paid for tax-free (or at least heavily subsidized, tax-free) so most of your monthly pay should be going straight into savings if you are being even remotely prudent. And buying a nice car can suck if you are transferring around all the time or, say, on a ship or submarine most of the time. Nothing like buying a nice car and then parking it for months at a time.

So then let's say you're in for 8 years, saving $1-2k per month, and then you get out...and now you have $100-$200k saved up. Some people might take that chunk of cash and think, "screw it, I'm getting a Porsche. Oh, and this house, too". Just putting that out there as another possibility.

Even discarding the fact that disabled people can live perfectly productive lives and own businesses, etc., there's the fact that as active duty military, you get the bulk of your living expenses paid for tax-free (or at least heavily subsidized, tax-free) so most of your monthly pay should be going straight into savings if you are being even remotely prudent. And buying a nice car can suck if you are transferring around all the time or, say, on a ship or submarine most of the time. Nothing like buying a nice car and then parking it for months at a time.

So then let's say you're in for 8 years, saving $1-2k per month, and then you get out...and now you have $100-$200k saved up. Some people might take that chunk of cash and think, "screw it, I'm getting a Porsche. Oh, and this house, too". Just putting that out there as another possibility.

A couple points. It's true that single service members usually live in on base housing provided for free and have the opportunity to eat for free in the chowhall but we're talking about young men and women 18-24 years old and for most of them it's the first time they've ever seen any kind of decent money. So it isn't reasonable to expect them not to splash out some money here and there.

Also, for those of you on the outside, the accommodations provided are more along the lines of two to four guys in a small motel room. If they're lucky it might have a bathroom attached. You could get similar accommodations as a civilian for less than $200 per month if you cared to live like that to save money.

We might be paid with taxpayer money, but we're taxed on our income as well. One guy I served with claimed he was self employed for one month out of the year. Some of our pay is tax exempt, but that's not much.

Plus, a lot of the young Marines I was stationed with sent a significant amount of their pay back home to help out family.

I have no problem with a veteran driving whatever they want....... its when I Drive by low income housing in every single parking stall has a brand new 70k truck in it

I'm not sure why you are taking umbrage with my post. I didn't say every active duty military must save all their money. I just said it's a possibility and I happen to know several who got out that HAD saved quite a lot of money, for the reasons cited. I also know a bunch who blew every cent they had every month. Not much different from non-military people in that regard.

If you are active duty your basic allowance can easily be over $1k per month nowadays, and if you are married and an officer, that number can be more like $1500-$2k+ per month of tax free money. If you are living here in LA and working on the air force base, nowadays you are pulling down a minimum of $1500 basic allowance. But hey you don't have to take my word for it, you can look it up.

And speaking as someone intimately familiar with rents in the area, I will tell you that $1500 per month is at least $300 more than you need to cover rent unless you are trying to get someplace on the beach. Which a lot of folks do, because why wouldn't you if you're young and living in LA and someone else is paying for your housing? Those places can go for $2-3k per month. However, if you do like most people do and get a roommate or two (or three or four), you are essentially getting paid an extra $1k per month tax free, in addition to getting free housing right on the beach.

Being disabled doesn't mean unable.The "Disabled Veteran" phrase on the plate could mean a lot of things; my Dad was a gunner on a sub chaser in WWII. His hearing really suffered as he got older, and when he went to the VA, he was rated as disabled, partially disabled, and got help from the VA for hearing aids. He could of got a DAV plate but didn't. Disability is rated in percentage of loss or use of a limb or whatever. My point is, I live in a Country, that thank God, has a military force to keep out the bad guys. I lost a friend that had been in Desert Storm and had sustained a severe head wound. He was a Disabled Vet due to his greatly reduced ability to do "normal" everyday things. Had he of wanted to buy a fancy car, fine by me he, as placed his life in harm's way so I didn't have to. To make things worse, the government was fighting him about how disabled he was. Compared to "regular" folks, he was just not there anymore. He died sitting on the porch one day, leaving behind a wife and child, and a house that needed regular payments made upon. So I now wonder, how are his widow and his child not going to lose their house, as once again, the VA has a different idea.

Some gave much, some gave all

Also badmaron if they are retired and disabled they don't get there "50%" plus what ever % of disability. They just get there disability % tax free on there retirement check. For instance I'm 20% va disabled so I get 251 a month. If I was retired and say I got 1251 a month for retirement 251 would not be taxed and the other 1000 would be. I see people with nice vehicles and va plates and when I was a baby staff it use to pisses me off too. But after visiting the va a few times I stopped caring because I saw a lot of people really fcked up and felt really bad for those people plus I don't know there circumstances so I don't care anymore.

Well... what does "disabled" mean by definition. I am not a vet, but I make a somewhat comfortable living living sitting behind a desk. God forbid, I could probably do my job as a double amputee from behind my desk. I would likely be "disabled" and need to park my car in the handicapped spots, but still collecting wages that would allow me to pay bills and perhaps buy luxuries depending on my situation.

Am I misunderstanding completely?

I'm a disabled vet and I drive a 14 year old beater.

Work with another disabled vet and he drives a brand new loaded F-150 every year. It's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it.

I make the same pay he does, but I'm putting money away for my kids to go to college, I make sure my wife has a nice new Honda mini-van every few years so she's safe while I'm working all day, and has a comfortable/reliable vehicle to transport kids around all day.

The rest of my money goes into hobbies and savings. I never felt the need to have nice cars for myself, I like fixing them myself and it's a hoot watching every 100k miles rollover on that old Honda.

It bugs me more when I see the business dressed lady at the checkout counter at my grocery store buying steak & crab legs, paying part of it with her LINK card, and the rest in crisp hundos, and driving away in her brand new Mercedes SUV.

I don't know her situation, but if she rates a LINK card and can afford a new Mercedes, I'M DOIN SOMETHING WRONG!

Just tossing this out, but several people who apply for disability wait over a year for the paperwork to get processed. VA paperwork is even more backed up. Then, those people on normal disability often get "back pay" to cover the time between when the application was filled out and when the paperwork was approved. If you got a year's worth of disability paymets in a lump sum, what would you do with it?

I suspect some would use it as a down payment on that car they've been wanting.

This might just be a local phenomenon, but I'm really wondering what the heck is going on here. First of all, I'm active duty USAF so I have nothing against veterans. I guess this is just as good of a place as any to ask so here goes...

Where I live (Augusta, GA area) 85% of the time I see a license plate with "Disabled Veteran" on it, they are either brand new vehicles or new-ish luxury cars. Yesterday I saw a Porsche hybrid with one, and when I saw a brand new 2013 Ram with all the trimmings, big suprise, DV plates.

It's not that I see luxury cars with DV plates that suprises me. I don't expect every actually-disabled veteran is going to be living on the streets rolling around on a skateboard. It's just that the majority of DV plates I see are attached to vehicles costing probably 40-60K.

My theory is that these people are 1) retired 2) claiming VA disability and importantly 3) still working. So they are getting their 50% base pay from the military, getting another 30-50% from the Veterans Administration and at the same time, working.

I'm an active duty E5 collecting almost $1000 a month extra in special pays, and I can't even afford these vehicles.

Then again, maybe someone else has a better explanation. Please!

Which begs the question... how much $$$ is the government shelling out for able bodied people and will the gravy train still be around when its my turn?

You've described the vehicles, have you ever had a good look, or better yet, a conversation with the drivers? You might find it interesting, perhaps even inspiring.
Regards, GF.

I worked with a guy who lost half his leg to a land mine in vietnam. I'm sure he qualifies as a disabled veteran, I know for a fact that the VA takes care of his artificial leg, because he took a couple days off to go have it worked on. He worked a full 40+ hour week, at a top 25 company for 40 years before he retired. I am sure he could well afford a luxury car, while being a disabled veteran

I worked with a guy who lost half his leg to a land mine in vietnam. I'm sure he qualifies as a disabled veteran, I know for a fact that the VA takes care of his artificial leg, because he took a couple days off to go have it worked on. He worked a full 40+ hour week, at a top 25 company for 40 years before he retired. I am sure he could well afford a luxury car, while being a disabled veteran

Impossible us Vets are only able to hang out at the VA looking for handouts, or so some of mu coworkers would say.

Latest posts

Back