Dirty (glass) carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteakW

Reaction score
I have some one gallon jug from my second batch of brew. I cleaned with Oxyclean, the first jug came out sparkling like a Russian ballerina but the second one had a very very, faint, slight black lines at the bottom. It seems like a stain, or something because I've Oxycleaned it about 4 times and it still looks exactly the same. Obviously I want to make sure this isn't going to mess with a batch. I don't have a camera readily available and I don't think the camera would even be able to see it. I'm just not sure what it could be. If it were anything in the world I would assume it's some kind of resin. Could it be hop resin? I just don't know what it is because nothing seems to remove it (even overnight soaking). I can't imagine whatever is leaving that can't be good for my fermentables. Any ideas?

Can you get a bottle brush or something similar down to it to see if any of it comes off? If it does, make sure you get it off, it it doesn't, may not be a problem.

It could be shadow caused by imperfections in glass. Put light on it from multiple angles simultaneously and see if they disappear.

I use glass a lot for my primarys and small batch secondary/conditioning, and i have never noticed hop resin staining glass (might just be me though)

I also use Oxy for cleaning.

It could be shadow caused by imperfections in glass. Put light on it from multiple angles simultaneously and see if they disappear.

I use glass a lot for my primarys and small batch secondary/conditioning, and i have never noticed hop resin staining glass (might just be me though)

I also use Oxy for cleaning.

I think you're onto something. It no longer looked black today like it did yesterday (when I was cleaning) so it could have been water that made it look darker. Today it simply looked like small scratches or perhaps imperfections in the glass. Not sure how I would be able to tell the difference. My money is on glass imperfections. I'll further check when I get some batteries for my flashlights ;)

Back