Dirty blichmann burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indymedic

Reaction score
I bought a used blichmann burner and it looked like it had been boiled over on many times. I cleaned it with oven cleaner which did great but took the paint off the burner. I don't mind the cast iron color but I'm worried about rust. Do you guys think I should put a couple coats of high heat spray paint on it or just keep oil on it.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't want to keep applying oil to it so I'd spray something on it that's more permanent.

My issues with paint are. Will it last? And how do I keep the paint out of the jets? Other than that I agree with you bobeer.

Paint?
There's not a spot of paint anywhere on my Blichmann burner. I'm not sure it's supposed to be there in the first place.

Try emailing Blichmann. They have killer customer service.

On the actual cast iron burner it appears to have had silver spray paint or some type of coating.

Paint?
There's not a spot of paint anywhere on my Blichmann burner. I'm not sure it's supposed to be there in the first place.

Try emailing Blichmann. They have killer customer service.

Just emailed them. Hopefully I will hear back soon. I want to get this thing into use.

I repainted mine with high temp silver paint from Lowe's about 8 months ago and it has held up well. The paint on mine started falling off after a couple of uses which is pretty disappointing considering what it costs new.

I was concerned about the gas holes filling with paint but did not have a problem. I just kept the spray can at least a foot away and applied several light coats. I also cleaned it well with TSP and a wire brush

I repainted mine with high temp silver paint from Lowe's about 8 months ago and it has held up well. The paint on mine started falling off after a couple of uses which is pretty disappointing considering what it costs new.

I was concerned about the gas holes filling with paint but did not have a problem. I just kept the spray can at least a foot away and applied several light coats. I also cleaned it well with TSP and a wire brush

Thanks

I guess I'm going to wait and see what blichmann customer service says. But I am leaning towards paint. Thanks again

If it is just the burner itself, I would just clean it as well as you can and leave it as is. I doubt even the high temperature paints will not burn off. I sprayed my turkey fryer with the black BBQ paint (maybe 50,000 btu) --- the paint burned off......

Great customer service at blichmann. Can't believe they got back to me the same day. There response.

High temp paint is perfect to paint it with. It should help keeping from rusting.

Good luck

Thanks
Doug

And thanks a lot for your replies

And I learned something. I didn't know the burner really was painted! Guess I should look into maintenance for my own burner.

Flat silver 2000°F VHT paint oven-cured per the manufacturer's schedule (it's a bit complicated but eminently doable) will produce a pretty durable coating.
I get the rattle cans from the local AutoZone...

Cheers!

Flat silver 2000°F VHT paint oven-cured per the manufacturer's schedule (it's a bit complicated but eminently doable) will produce a pretty durable coating.
I get the rattle cans from the local AutoZone...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Will be doing this this weekend.

Back