Direct dissolved c02 measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a way to directly measure the amount of dissolved c02 in a keg? For instance, is there any type of system I could rig up that would allow me to know at any given moment in time what the exact amount of volume of dissolved c02 in my keg is?

Hypothetical world:
I just kegged my beer. My c02 vol gauge shows 0.0. I set the regulator to 30 PSI. I check the c02 vol gauge 12 hours later and notice my beer is now at .5 vols. "Great" I think! .5 vols per half a day!

Does a device exist that can measure dissolved c02 in such a way?

Zahm and Nagel SS60 volume meter. Run about ~$1,100 new, but occasionally show up used on e-bay for less. There are also more accurate pieces of equipment for much more money. Of course they're designed to connect to brite tanks, so you'll need to do some creative plumbing.

You could also just hook up a pressure gauge to a short piece of tubing, and attach that to your gas disconnect. Carb the keg, attach the pressure gauge, vent and wait for the headspace pressure to re-equilibrate. Then if you know the temperature you can roughly figure out the carb level.

One limitation is that you'll lose a little bit of carbonation as CO2 equilibrates with the headspace, so you want to make sure this is for a full keg only. If the keg is half full it's not going to work very well.

Latest posts

Back