Dipwitbier recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImpendingDisaster

Reaction score
Hi,
I've venturing into making some of my own recipes for a while and have had some success with simple concoctions (well, no one died and I'm not being sued). In my enthusiasm, I ordered a mess of stuff not quite sure what to do with them. It is time to put some of those ingredients into a beer.

I've made a witbier recipe on Brewsmith but I'm wondering if this looks like it might work as a simple example that I can BIAB without undo problems. I'd be grateful for any advice on the ingredient list, mashing temperature , and fermentation temperatures.

I have lots of Pilsner malt, but only 1.8 kg of toasted wheat flakes (4 lbs). I'm also stuck to using the dry yeast (this is going to be a "Buy Nothing New" brew, except for the coriander. I've read that some folks put some Munich in Wits, so I've added a bit.

This is for a 22 litre batch into the fermenter: I always brew a bit more to keep from sucking up trub into the kegs.

Pilsner (Best Maltz) 2.25 Kg, 48.3%
Toasted Wheat Flakes 1.81 Kg, 38.8 %
Flaked Oats .35 kg, 7.5 %
Munich .25 kg 5.4%

For continental hops, I can chose between Hallertaur, Styrian Golding, Saaz, or Tetnang. and about 18 grams of Spalter. I'm thinking of hopping to about 15 IBU to get it in about the middle of BJP style guidelines. I'm not sure which one would fit the style better. I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a late hop addition.

I have a packet of T58 yeast and one of WB-06.

I have an ounce of bitter orange peel, and need to shop for coriander.

Any, I'd be grateful for any advice, warnings or vain attempts to save me from myself!

Well I havent used toasted wheat flakes, but if those were regular wheat flakes that would look like a witbier malt bill. As long as the toast isnt extreme it should be fine.

Not having a witbier strain is not ideal, but t-58 should be fine by the description (ive never used it). Dont use the hefe yeast.

Any of those hops is fine, there aint much of them, and they are all appropiate. If its all the same, id use saaz if you do a small late addittion. If you dont it really doesnt matter.

Id use fresh citrus zest and skip the dry stuff. Go easy on the spice, its easy to overdo. A touch of chamomile can be nice as well.

Looks good to me. Maybe bitter with the Styrian Goldings, and a light finishing addition of the Saaz. Also, make sure you get whole coriander and crack it, rather than the pre-ground stuff.

Thanks!
The toasted wheat flakes appear pretty light. I can't find out too much about them, though. The place I got them online says "Greatly improves head retention while adding plenty of body to almost any style of beer. Introduces subtle toasty/bready notes when used in larger quantities."

I'll certainly use the T-58. I've used Wyeast once in a Kolsch, but it's not done fermenting yet. I'm not keen on shopping at the local HB shop, and dry yeast is so much easier to order in.

I'll do some spice research to see what is on offer for fresh coriander. I understand there are a lot of varieties.
I've got a few ounces of Styrian Goldings that I had thrown in on my last online order. I've not tried them yet, so I will probably pick them.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back