DIPA with wyeast 1318?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumham1985

Reaction score
Hello all, quick yeast question... I'm brewing a dipa, target og 1.073 and using pearl as the base malt. Lots of bright hops, bit tearing with chinook and citra and using simcoe Amarillo galaxy and Columbus for aroma. My lhbs was out of my standard 1056 and 1272 so after some quick googling, I bought 1318 on impulse.

I'm hoping for a bright hop-forward IPA, almost like a heady. Any thoughts on this yeast? I could drive a bit further tomorrow in search of Chico if necessary if 1318 won't work for this style...

WLP001 and US-05 are the same strain as Wyeast 1056 if you find yourself in the same situation again. Don't have any experience with 1318 so I can't comment on it.

London III can get fruity. I use it in my stouts.

I recommend mashing low, like 149F or lower if you want a chance at 75% attenuation. It's a low attenuating yeast.

Mashing at 149F on an amber ale got me 70%. Mashing at 154F got me about 60% in my sweet stout.

London III and hoppy beers are a match made in heaven.

Just don't plan on that beer dropping remotely clear....ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made an Amarillo-Cita extract ipa with 1318 bottled 6/25 and it came out great.

Great yeast. I think you will enjoy it but make a starter for it and it will really take off.

I personally like either Conan or WY1318 for my IPAs they both produce subtle esters that are complementary to the types of fruity hops I enjoy. They are also capable of imparting a sort of silky mouthfeel to the beer which really helps work with the dryness that I strive for in IPAs

I would go with either of those over us-05 anyday for an IPA to my tastes

Back