DIPA Hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing my first DIPA today. My CTZ's are 17.5%AA

5.5 gallons

87% Pale Ale Malt (3L)
5.8% Crystal 75
1.4% Carapils
5.8$ Turbinado Sugar
75 min Boil
Pre-Boil Gravity 1.066
Est. Post-Boil Gravity 1.090

1oz CTZ at 60 mins
1oz CTZ at 20 mins
1oz CTZ at 10 mins
1oz CTZ at 5 mins
Est. IBUs of 108.8

2oz CTZ Dry Hopping for 7 days

I do have an ounce of each of the following as well.
Amarillo, Centennial, Mosaic, Zythos, Simcoe and 2 oz of Cascade

I was going for more of a grapefruit bomb, but any thoughts are more than welcome!

Thanks!

At 1.090 you'll need a lot more IBUs IMHO. I shoot for 150+ for beers over 1.080. My last one was 2 oz at 60, 1 at 20, 1.75 at 10 and 2 at 5, not quite the equivalent AA as your Columbus but all high AA Hops.

Steve da sleeve

I was more concerned about how bitter the CTZ are. Fortunately you aren't just getting a bitter kick, but they have a white grapefruit taste.

Per the BJCP, they list the maximum IBUs as 120, so I don't want to take it out of style, since this is for a competition.

I can add more CTZ (I still have a pound of them)

Increase the dry hop for sure. 2oz is not nearly enough for a double IPA. I think 4oz would be the absolute bare minimum. 6 to 8oz would be much better. Also you may find all columbus to be a bit underwhelming. something like 3oz Columbus & 3oz Simcoe dry hop would be really nice. If you just want to use the hops you have, maybe something like 2oz columbus, and one each of Amarillo, Mosaic, & Simcoe.

I was more concerned about how bitter the CTZ are. Fortunately you aren't just getting a bitter kick, but they have a white grapefruit taste.

Per the BJCP, they list the maximum IBUs as 120, so I don't want to take it out of style, since this is for a competition.

I can add more CTZ (I still have a pound of them)

Nobody sends your beer to a lab to verify the actual ibu. You can skirt the guidelines. The ibu is all calculated not measured anyway.

I would use simcoe, zythos, and cascade for the grapefruit/pine/citrus flavor. Use .25 oz- .5oz the combo above at 15 minutes and 0 minutes. Move the ctz 20 minutes to 15 minutes and 0 minutes. Add dry hop simcoe, zythos, cascade if using .25 oz

Nobody sends your beer to a lab to verify the actual ibu. You can skirt the guidelines. The ibu is all calculated not measured anyway.

I know that they don't, but the recipe is made available to the organizer, so there is always a chance that BOS gets more scrutiny to ensure that it is within guidelines for the style. I've been a judge and organizer in other competitive arenas and they all have very strict guidelines that can disqualify competitors even at the finals.

Increase the dry hop for sure. 2oz is not nearly enough for a double IPA. I think 4oz would be the absolute bare minimum. 6 to 8oz would be much better. Also you may find all columbus to be a bit underwhelming. something like 3oz Columbus & 3oz Simcoe dry hop would be really nice. If you just want to use the hops you have, maybe something like 2oz columbus, and one each of Amarillo, Mosaic, & Simcoe.

I was not very impressed with the Simcoe or Zythos... I like Amarillo, Citra and EXP 342. At this point anything I change will have to be for the dry hop.

I personally like Columbus. I've used them quite a bit in IPAs and have always been pleased. Plus I drink a lot of PAKOS and they use a bunch of them paired with simcoe

I personally like Columbus. I've used them quite a bit in IPAs and have always been pleased. Plus I drink a lot of PAKOS and they use a bunch of them paired with simcoe

Columbus is a good hop, but I think its not the best by itself. It really needs to be paired with another hop or two for best results. I only tried Pako's ipa once and it was several years ago, but I remember it being quite nice.

Columbus is a good hop, but I think its not the best by itself. It really needs to be paired with another hop or two for best results. I only tried Pako's ipa once and it was several years ago, but I remember it being quite nice.

Hangar 24 does a Columbus IPA that is decent, but like most of their beer, it seems rather plain on the palate. I may stop and pick up some EXP 342 on my next LHBS run. I've, also, thought about Delta. It is grapefruity and earthy.

Yeah Columbus probably does do better paired up with another hop or two. However, since I've never had or brewed a beer with just Columbus I personally would like to try it since I always pair it up with others.

I really enjoy Columbus for dry hopping, not so much for flavor, but everybody's tastes are different try it out

I really enjoy Columbus for dry hopping, not so much for flavor, but everybody's tastes are different try it out

If I use mine as a First Wort Hop you can really taste white grapefruit instead of just a citrus bitter. I may just dry hop with the CTZ alone and bump the amount to 6oz.

I would dry hop with the cascade. About 4 ounces. Columbus and cascade play very well together IMO.

I decided to go for broke and add the 1oz miscellaneous hops to the dry hop and double the CTZ.

So I'm tossing the following into the fermenter for dry hopping.
1oz Amarillo
1oz Centennial
1oz Mosaic
1oz Zythos
1oz Simcoe
4oz of CTZ

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back