DIPA Feedback for me, if you're bored

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
Anything seem obviously off here? Thanks!

Boil Size: 8.45 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Target FG: 1.013
ABV: 7.6%
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 102.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 7.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 83.6 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.2 %
10.9 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.2 %
8.8 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.4 %
6.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8 2.5 %
0.40 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 15.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 23.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 25.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 12.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 13 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 14 9.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 15 9.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16 -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 1.3 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 22.60 qt of water at 162.3 F 150.0 F 75 min

I'm pretty bored..

If it were my recipe, I would probably replace 1 lb of the 2 row with 1 lb of corn/cane sugar just to dry it out a bit. Also, I don't know if that amount of Munich is going to come through very much. If you want it to come through more, I might do 1 lb or 1.5 lbs.

I like the dry hop, but I think you need to add more hops to the boil / steep. I would probably double the Steep/Whirlpool additions.

I never tried Oats in my IPA's. Seems to be interesting!

I would cut on the dry hopping and ramp up the late additions.

Some like that is normally my backbone:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.4 %
13.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.2 %
9.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
6.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.7 %
6.8 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.7 %
5.7 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.3 %

Best luck!

Hmm, maybe a little high ibu's for the og. I wouldn't sub sugar for malt, just add a pound of sugar to up the abv. It is a Dipa, after all. go crazy. :rockin:

Hmm, maybe a little high ibu's for the og. I wouldn't sub sugar for malt, just add a pound of sugar to up the abv. It is a Dipa, after all. go crazy. :rockin:

Wait wait wait... What's this about not subbing sugar for malt?

I'm pretty bored..

If it were my recipe, I would probably replace 1 lb of the 2 row with 1 lb of corn/cane sugar just to dry it out a bit. Also, I don't know if that amount of Munich is going to come through very much. If you want it to come through more, I might do 1 lb or 1.5 lbs.

I like the dry hop, but I think you need to add more hops to the boil / steep. I would probably double the Steep/Whirlpool additions.

So I thought a little residual sweetness would help balance the 100 IBU's. So wasn't sure if drying out with sugar would just accentuate the bitterness. Thoughts?

Move the 30-minute hop additions to 20 minutes. At 30 minutes, you are losing flavour compounds. Then either up the 60-minute charge or the two 20-minute charges to get your IBUs back where you want.

Aside from the bittering addition at 60', I would move all the other "boil" hops to 10 minutes and 2 hopstand/whirlpool additions, the first at flameout and the second @180=>170°F for all the flavor and aroma you can get. The flameout hops will add some IBUs, and if you really want 100 IBU increase the FWH load (Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, or a combination) to get there. Count on a total of 60' hopstand/whirlpool before chilling to pitching temps.

Aside from the bittering addition at 60', I would move all the other "boil" hops to 10 minutes and 2 hopstand/whirlpool additions, the first at flameout and the second @180=>170°F for all the flavor and aroma you can get. The flameout hops will add some IBUs, and if you really want 100 IBU increase the FWH load (Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, or a combination) to get there. Count on a total of 60' hopstand/whirlpool before chilling to pitching temps.

Cool! I like it. Thanks for the feedback everybody I'm going to take the advice.

ABV is a little low... and hope you like nugget. Not a hop I would choose for dry-hopping this one.

ABV is a little low... and hope you like nugget. Not a hop I would choose for dry-hopping this one.

I'm good with 7.6% and it's technically within the style guidelines. I like nugget, yeah. That's why it's in there. Never dry hopped with it but I googled around and nobody anything terrible to say about it generally speaking.

I'm good with 7.6% and it's technically within the style guidelines. I like nugget, yeah. That's why it's in there. Never dry hopped with it but I googled around and nobody anything terrible to say about it generally speaking.

Yeah, personal taste... I hate nugget (hops). Same with the ABV, technically, you're good, yes.

Following up on this. I brewed it as-is only I added 1 oz of Amarillo to the dry hop because I needed to get rid of them.

Mouthfeel is medium. Average head when poured from the keg. Sweet orangey aroma. Color is a dark hazy reddish-orange. Bitterness is smooth and present but not overpowering as it's offset by a slight orange/tangerine sweetness on the finish. Used relatively soft water with the stereotypical gypsum and calcium chloride additions. Fermented at 65, ramped up to 72 by day 4. Added 1/2 the dry hops at day 4 and half at day 8, temp held at 70. Cold crashed 2 days, kegged it and was drinking it on day 15. Finished at 1.011 for 7.8% abv. Drank with 2 friends side-by-side with a local brewery's IPA and they both said this was the better beer. As a variation I would keep this grain bill and vary the hops, pulling back on the munich just a bit (or maybe a lighter munich) as the beer was darker than I expected.

zc

Latest posts

Back