Diluting Everclear for Tinctures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I decided to make spice tinctures to add to my pumpkin ale when it's ready in a month. I've purchased stick cinnamon, whole allspice, whole gloves, ginger root & crystallized ginger (will make separate tinctures for both), and whole nutmeg. Additionally, I will be making a tincture of premixed ground spices (all of the above combined into one tincture), seeing as I added the same combination to the boil prior to fermenting.

So that's 7 tinctures in total:
- cinnamon sticks
- whole nutmeg
- whole clove
- whole allspice
- crystallized ginger
- ginger root
- ground pumpkin spice mix

Here's my question. I've been doing some research online regarding tinctures, and I've read examples where everclear was used instead of vodka. However, there seems to be conflicting approaches regarding everclear. Some dilute, while others do not.

Should I dilute the everclear prior to adding the spices to each separate tincture?

Additionally, is there a general spice:everclear ratio I should take into consideration?

Thanks!

Because a bottle of ever clear is about the same, if not cheaper, than a 1L bottle of vodka, and if it needs to be diluted (which is what I'm asking), then you can yield more of a product with the everclear than you could 1L of vodka.

What are the circumstances regarding dilution? What's the intended end use in the tinctures you're referencing? Are the tinctures that are diluted a different extract than the undiluted versions?
For flavoring use the only difference is probably extraction efficiency. Some of the tinctures may have reasons for diluting vs not.

Since vodka works fine for making tinctures, diluted everclear should work as well. All you're looking for is a neutral spirit to extract the flavors and I don't see why you need full-strength everclear for this.

This is what I ended up going with. I diluted for the sole purpose of extending the use of the everclear.

Tincture mix:

1L of Everclear + 200ml of water = 1200ml
190 proof diluted to 160 proof

Cinnamon Sticks (toasted for 1 min, then crushed) - .5oz in 200 ml solution
Whole Nutmeg (crushed) - .5 oz in 200 ml solution
Whole Allspice (crushed) - .5 oz in 200 ml solution
Whole Clove (crushed) - .5 oz in 200 ml solution
Fresh Ginger (chopped) - 1.5 oz in 200 ml solution
Pumpkin Spice Mix (ground, ratio above) - .5 oz in 200 ml solution

Latest posts

Back