digging up and replanting hop rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huckbof

Reaction score
I have purple hop rhizomes popping up all over and I know that frost is coming.
Will it work if I dig up and clip some of them and plant them in pots which can easily be moved to warmth? How will they do, generally?

What you're talking about doing is the way rhizomes are harvested for sale. Once they're harvested, cleaned and sorted, they are kept in cold storage until shipped. This is done before the buds come out of dormancy to inhibit the purple buds from elongating and turning into new shoots (which yours are about to do). You can do the same thing now and just keep them refrigerated until it warms up, then plant if you like.

I planted them in pots to see how that works. My south facing areas are full of hops or other plants right now.

how well do hops transplant to bigger and bigger pots as they grow?

If you're going to grow them in pots, I would suggest putting them in a bigger pot from the start. Not saying that you can't do it (they really don't seem to mind), but what you usually run into is a situation where you either crimp or break off the growth that has already started during the transplant - depending on how long you wait to make the switch. You're really not going to end up that far ahead by planting them now verses keeping them in the fridge until you work up/figure out a more permanent planting location. Just my thoughts.

You're really not going to end up that far ahead by planting them now verses keeping them in the fridge until you work up/figure out a more permanent planting location. Just my thoughts.

It is going to be 27F on the weekend, so I can bring the pots inside.
What should I use to cover the hops outside, some are 6"

That's way more work than necessary. Simply shovel a layer of soil and composted leaves, straw or whatever organic matter you have handy on top and cover them well. If the temps are forecast to plummet to sub-arctic temps then toss a plastic trash bag or vinyl tarp on top for good measure. They'll be fine. Hop bines are quite difficult to kill actually. Any shoots that might be "burned" by a little frost will be replaced by a ton of new shoots in short order!

Cheers!

I have purple hop rhizomes popping up all over and I know that frost is coming.
Will it work if I dig up and clip some of them and plant them in pots which can easily be moved to warmth? How will they do, generally?

Back