Different method of Dry Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
What is different method of dry hopping do you do? what is the best in order to decreased trub? hop tea, hop filters?

I just add loose dry hop pellets to the (bucket) fermentor. After replacing the lid, flush the headspace with CO2. I have some lids with a 1" access hole I use to add dry hops, and other things. I may give them a light stir before snapping the lid back on.

Constraining dry hops in any which way is not beneficial. The beer needs to be able to flow around them freely to extract the oils.
The hop pulp drops out anyway after a few days (3-5) coaxed by an additional 1-2 day cold crash. Even 10 ounces of dry hops in a NEIPA all make it to the bottom.

I did fabricate a custom filter that slips over the racking cane to keep hop particles from getting into the keg when transferring from the (bucket) fermentor. I use that mostly for NEIPAs, since I can't see how well it has "cleared," especially toward the bottom.

Last edited:
I use one gallon paint strainer bags. I have always done that so I don't know how much it knocks down any hop presence. I get really good beers. But then again I don't dry hop very often. I limit one ounce to each bag. I also lose less than 8 ounces of beer to the trub, I don't have to worry about sucking up the trub during transfer because the deepest layer of trub I ever had was less than 1/2 inch.

I also bag the hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag during the boil. I just clip it to the lip of the kettle, open it up and add the next addition.

When using a conical with a bottom drain, the trub can get annoying when not using a bag. Takes extra time and care to avoid it when racking.

I just use a bag. Peace of soul

Back