Different Malters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockybitz

Reaction score
It never dawned on me until recent topic that the malters essentially malt grain to get the same end result, but with different names.

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/porsche_911_96173824176994320.jpg

Has anyone really noticed a difference in grain from the different malters? I might assume some subtlety, but otherwise was it worth the extra cost? Any preferred malters? Most of mine are Briess, but that is just that is what was available in 50lb sacks. I'll be changing to Maris Otter for my base grain after this bag, tho .

Oh, yes, I've noticed a great difference between maltsters. It seems like Briess is "sweeter" than Rahr, while Crisp maris otter is different from Munton's maris otter.

For US two-row, I like Rahr, and it's cheaper too! For maris otter, I prefer the Crisp. I love Golden promise (Simpson's, I believe) for UK style beers just as much as MO, though!

Only 2 thread views. :( Yooper, could you perhaps change the thread title to "Different Brands of malt"

Latest posts

Back