Difference in regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a new regulator soon and am wondering just how much better the so called premium regulators are. I am looking at a few different ones from beveragefactory. They have a premium one for about $45 and a regular one for $40. I've also seen some tapright (I think that's the name) on sale on at least one site for less than $30.

What do you guys have or what would you buy?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe there is too much of a difference (especially since you're buying new). They are designed a little different physically, but the only real difference is going to be the adjusting stems, and the gauges. Cheap ones I've seen sometimes use cheap gauges that will get fogged up easily, and if they are real cheap, can acquire condensation/moisture on the inside- that's bad. Anyone with more experience with different regs? (I've only dealt with actual Cornelius regulators and double regulator I picked up from midwest http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4884)

Many people on the forum have had problems with the adjustment screw galling in regulators that have aluminum bodies, but they rarely post the brand. So, get one with a brass body.

I've got two Cornelius primaries and two Perlick secondaries, all brass.

I have a Taprite and it's working flawlessly.

Had you tried to compare the two regs on BF website you'd have seen that the differences between the two you ask about are in construction.

Premium = Forged Brass, teflon and chrome plating. Thumb wheel pressure adjustment. Pressure releif valve with manual pull.

Standard = Aluminum and paint. Screw type pressure adjustment (where's that damned screwdriver again).

So, for $5.00 "extra" you get a better built and finished regulator. With some extra convenience features. I for one, wish my regulator had the thumb wheel.

Latest posts

Back