diet beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collycreekbrewer

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but I have finally drug my lazy butt back to the gym. I was wondering if any of you guys have brewed a lo calorie, low Carb beer that is tasty. I'm probably dreaming, but I've got to ask. The Michelob ultra and MGD 64 just taste horrible. My beer is the last thing left to clean up my diet, but daggonnit I like beer and I am not going to give it up. Any help will be appreciated.

I don't think anyone on here rightly knows. The big boys can afford to have beer sent down the hall to the lab and boiled/digested/burned to figure out all the nutritional data in their beer. Aside from ABV to a couple decimals I'm not sure how much information you can get on the homescale. Obviously you could send out a beer to a lab but I have no idea how much that costs.

Session beers are now your friend. Keep your beers under 4.5% ABV and they should be less than 100 cal per 12oz. At least that's what BrewPal indicates.

ABV is the biggest issue. My wife does weight watchers and has done a bunch of research. I'm not going to bore you with the details (read: I don't know the details), but the issue is how your body handles the alcohol. Even if you mixed pure ethylene with water and diluted to 4%, it would not be 100% "guilt free." Obviously you will also have some residual sugars as well. Like was said before, maybe cut back a bit (make sure never to have more than one, or more than two, or whatever, and run a little more). Good luck with the new program.

^It is because your innards cannot properly convert food while processing the alcohol in your system. While your liver is busy thanking you for the onslaught, you are storing a good portion of what you eat as fat.

You might try creating an adjunct lager... I enjoy Miller Lite if I'm drinking to drink for what it's worth, but agree with you that MGD64 is horrendous.

While you're not going to burn more than you consume, this is always entertaining: http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer

Light body session beers would probably be best. Your body converts alcohol to energy so the lower the abv the less the calories. Additionally the thinner the body the less residual sugars. I think that is why the lite lagers are so thin and watery as well as lower abv.

I couldn't tell you what the exact carb count is, but I brewed a very pale ale for when I was on my low-carb cycle. It's meant to kinda simulate a Bud/ Mich lite (minus the lagering) with about 6 lbs of 2-row, 2 lbs of 6-row, 1 lb of flaked rice adjunct, and hallertaur hops. 90 min boil and ferment with Fermentis US-05.

I add Amylase enzyme to the fermentation after about three days to convert the unfermentable starches to sugars that can be fermented and drop the carb count.

I don't know if this actually works or not, but it allows me to justify drinking the beer to myself. I continued to lose weight and didn''t experience any carb cravings, so it must be somewhat effective. It is fairly tasty especially after aging for a bit.

edit: Sorry, I'm not near my beersmith right now or I would have been more specific with the recipe. This is really just an altered version of the Miller lite clone on this site though if you want to search for it.

Just do what I do. Eat super clean, low carb, and exercise like a mad man.

I drink what I want when I want and maintain a handsome 200 pounds. At least thats what my momma says.

I dropped 20 pounds in a month and am in some of the best shape of my life. I drink whatever I want and usually higher ABV. Just don't drink a lot of them. I eat healthy but whatever I want throughout the day, usually an early and late lunch, and big meals too. I don't eat dinner and workout like crazy at night. By 7:30 I can feel my stomach wanting something so I drink a few beer then go to bed. Plus, 2-3 beers on an empty stomach will feel a lot different than after a large meal.

I have spent the last 12 months working on exactly this issue. I know myself well enough to realize I am not going to stay with any exercise routine. I started by limiting myslef to 2 beers a day. The one, and zero. Eventually stopped brewing and drinking beer entirely for 4 months. No change. Next I started making small changes to my diet that I could stick with permanently, instead of "while on a diet". Brown rice instead of white. Whole grain bread. Limit simple sugars. Half sandwich at lunch instead of whole. All the things your grandma told you. No soda, water. Plenty of water. I am finally on a slow ramp of loosing weight. Not a lot , but consistent and measurable. Now I am back to 2 beers a day. My home brew. Whatever I like. Still loosing slowly and consistently. Its not as much about the beer as you may think. It's about the lifestyle.

I have a 3.5% kolsch which has 130cal/12oz according to beersmith. Really flavorful for a light beer.

ABV is the biggest issue. My wife does weight watchers and has done a bunch of research. I'm not going to bore you with the details (read: I don't know the details), but the issue is how your body handles the alcohol. Even if you mixed pure ethylene with water and diluted to 4%, it would not be 100% "guilt free." Obviously you will also have some residual sugars as well. Like was said before, maybe cut back a bit (make sure never to have more than one, or more than two, or whatever, and run a little more). Good luck with the new program.

I'm assuming that you mean ethanol but just in case you didn't....ethylene?

Back