Didn't Stir in my Priming Sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch of brew ever. In my overly-anxious state, I forgot to stir the beer/priming sugar mixture once it was in the bucket. I simply poured the hydrated and boiled priming sugar solution in the bucket at room temp, and siphoned the beer on top of it. Will this result in uneven carbonation? It was a dumb rookie move. I know, I know..."RDWHAHB", but I'm concerned I may have screwed up. Thoughts?

You should be fine as it's often not necessary to stir in as long as you rack onto your solution.

If you make sure when you rack you make sure the siphon hose out end is positioned on the outside wall on the priming bucket pointing along as opposed to the centre the edge the flow of beer will naturally around the edge of the bucket and create a gentle whirlpool.

This is who albeit on a larger scale breweries whirlpool, i.e via gravity.

Most people do it just the way you described.

I do and I've never had an issue with uneven carbonation.
I dump the cooled sugar solution into the bottling bucket (sometimes I don't even cool it all that much) and then siphon the beer on top of it. I do keep the end of the tube at the side, and angle it to create a light whirlpool.

Back