Didn't purchase enough dry yeast....Starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-3

Reaction score
HI all,

Fellow brewers, Gents. Ladies, Friends, Romans, Countrymen.....

I bought a new dry yeast online that I wanted to try out, Mangrove Jacks M03 Newcastle Dark Ale Dry Yeast - 10g.

In my ignorance, I only bought one pack and the brew I am making is a 1.080 Stout which should probably get 2 packs to avoid stressing the yeast.

Unfortunately I can't get this yeast locally, and the shipping charge for a single pack of yeast is not very cost effective.

Any reason why I shouldn't make a starter for this dry yeast? Normally I know it shouldn't be done, but with a bigger beer, would the starter hurt the dry yeast?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Under normal circumstances, there's very little to be gained from making a starter with dry yeast since the packet already contains ~200 billion cells and the yeast are ready to get to work, so it's considered an unnecessary step. When you need a bigger pitch and only have one packet of dry yeast, making a starter is the logical way to build up your yeast to your desired pitch rate.

Go for it!

Latest posts

Back