Didn't hit intended OG with extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciliatus

Reaction score
I recently tried the American IPA #1 kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. I did everything as the instructions detailed other than adding approximately 4 oz. of corn sugar just for the hell of it. According to their info sheet the OG should have been approximately 1.060. Unfortunately I only got 1.046. Anyone have a clue what I may have done wrong?

If you hit your volumes correctly, then the most likely reason is that the wort was not well mixed. It's a very common problem with cold-water topped off batches.

Ah, that would make sense. Thanks, Hex. So in other words, my first gravity reading was just incorrect? Are there any other side effects to this problem other than inaccurate gravity readings? Does the wort end up effectively mixing as the yeast does its work?

Are there any other side effects to this problem other than inaccurate gravity readings? Does the wort end up effectively mixing as the yeast does its work?

Nothing more than unnecessary frustration and nervousness :)

Yes, the concentration will even out pretty quickly. And even if it doesn't do that before entering full fermentation it will definitely do it once it gets going. It's pretty amazing to watch the amount of churn the yeast cause.

Ciliatus said:
Ah, that would make sense. Thanks, Hex. So in other words, my first gravity reading was just incorrect? Are there any other side effects to this problem other than inaccurate gravity readings? Does the wort end up effectively mixing as the yeast does its work?

No worries, the yeast will circulate through the entire wort and do their thing just fine. Not to mention that the whole thing will get swirled around when you transfer it for kegging or bottling.

Latest posts

Back