didn't follow brew day schedule..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
I brewed a red ale Brewers best kit last night and it had me add all the lme at the same time. Tonight I'm doing a American pale ale and I saw add lme and pored it all in. I realize now I was supposed to wait 40 mins to add the second can. What will this change about the beer.

Your OG may be higher, and your beer may be darker hops utilization may suffer. It depends on your process.

Are you doing full boils or partial boils and topping off with water?

It'll be darker with more of a "cooked extract" taste from boiling the extract that long. Extract has already been processed, and doesn't need to be boiled at all. It's common for many brewers to add the bulk of the extract late in the boil, even at flame out, to keep the color of the beer from darkening and to make the flavor less "extract-y".

Older recipes tend to have you boil all the extract up front, while newer thinking has you adding much of the extract at the end.

It's a Brewers best kit again. I'm ok with darker I'm just surprised that one kit had me boil both cans and this one is different. As long as it makes beer in the end I win.

Once you find a system that works for u, u won't have to read instructions. Except for hop scheduling. Positive points for reading everything tho!!

It's a Brewers best kit again. I'm ok with darker I'm just surprised that one kit had me boil both cans and this one is different. As long as it makes beer in the end I win.

Your second kit might be newer and have updated instructions. We've been waiting for some of this to happen as many of the instructions have a lot of dated information.

Searh HBT for late extract additions, you'll learn a ton about the reasons behind the late extract method.

Latest posts

Back