Didnt cut my vanilla bean!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Ive made a Vanilla porter the other week and as per the instructions you just add them 7-14 days from bottling, so I did that today. Added them whole after 2 quick dips in starsan.

Doing some research after the fact it seems for best utilization they should be cut, scrapped and soaked in a little vodka.

Anyway, will I be fine with my 2 whole uncut beans added or will I get very little vanilla out of it? Should I go buy another bean to give those uncut ones a boast or would that make it too much?? Could always add a 1/2 bean.

Thanks!

As I haven't used vanilla beans yet... I want to say you will probably get some flavor but not what was intended. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt to grab a new bean cut it scrape it and pop it in.

I added two beans to my first vanilla smoked porter.

I cut them in little chunks and didn't split them. I got next to no vanilla flavor and pretty much wasted $12 in beans.

The one I currently have going has 3 beans split and scraped. They'll have soaked for 3 weeks in bourbon which will be added at bottling. Should have some insane flavor this time.

You can always add two oz pure vanilla extract at bottling.

Well, I guess I'll grab another bean, soak it in some vodka for a few days and add it on my next brewday on sunday, then bottle 6 days later or so

Thanks!

Well, I guess I'll grab another bean, soak it in some vodka for a few days and add it on my next brewday on sunday, then bottle 6 days later or so

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan!!! Try to get 2 beans. Remember to split and scrape.

Latest posts

Back