Didn’t crush...thinking about adding brown sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalynch4

Reaction score
So I made a rookie mistake today : /

With too much on my mind I was rushing through a brew session and just dumped my grain Into the mash tun...before crushing it.

I realized when I opened the cooler to drain the first runnings.

I’m not going to expect much from this batch, but what do people think about adding a pound brown sugar to the boil just to see what happens and maybe help the yeast have something to eat.

this is the original grain bill.

-- 9.25-lbs. 2-row
-- 3-lbs.-Rye-Malt
-- 1-lbs.-Caramel-40L
-- 0.25-lbs.-Caramel-80

Thanks in advance

If you don't mind sacrificing your yeast and brown sugar (and hops, assuming you haven't reached that point) to an experiment that will more than likely disappoint, go for it! It's not going to be much like beer. Personally, I'd cut my losses.

I'm a little late for this batch but were it me, I would have removed the grains, run them through the mill, and put them back into the mash. It might have needed some heat added before returning the grains to keep it in mash temp range but the enzymes, having never been activated, would still be there for converting the starches. It might have not resulted in what you wanted but the extra work would be minimal and only an extra hour to find out if it worked. The mill would need a thorough cleaning as the wet grains would clog up the rollers.

Back