Did my wine go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keylos_Cellar

Reaction score
I have 4 five gallon carboys of wine going. They are all fresh fruit wines. They have all been fermented, racked, stabilized and cleared. I completely forgot about them after moving and the water in the airlock has evaporated. Is the wine still good? Safe?

Just taste it...if it taste like wine its fine...if its vinagery and sour then it went bad....and...HOW THE HECK DO YOU FORGET ABOUT YOUR WINE......lol

It tastes an smells fine. Just has a strong alcohol taste. Maybe a lil sour. Anything I can do to get it to taste like wine again? It's at like 19%. Thanks!

The strong alcohol taste will mellow out some with time, the sourness is because it has fermented all the sugars in it, after you hit it with campden tablets and potassium sorbate you can back sweeten it then, for more info on back sweetening just check out some of the other threads on here there's a few that go into a better explanation than I can give on it.

Back