Did my beer fart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionz

Reaction score
So I had some good yeasty beer smells for the first day of primary fermentation. This morning I went in my brew room and it smelled like a little bit of sulfer, a little sour and a little acidic. Do I have an infection? What else should I look for? Is my batch, God forbid, ruined!?

Sulfur's very normal. What yeast are you using, and at what temperature?

(Also, your beer *did* kind of fart. Keep in mind that alcohol is just yeast-poop. Delicious, delicious yeast-poop.)

I did a Saison a couple times with Mangrove Jacks M27 yeast. The smell that came out of my fermenter was nothing short of disturbing. Lasted probably a week and then died down. Give it time and probably open a window.

Mmmmm yeast poop.
I used Omega Belgian Ale W at around 72 deg F.

I did a Hefeweizen a while back using Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. Made my whole basement smell like a toilet for a number of days.
It cleared up after primary fermentation finished. Beer came out great!

Mmmmm yeast poop.
I used Omega Belgian Ale W at around 72 deg F.
Never used that particular yeast, but I'm making a saison with Danstar Belle Saison, and it produced a LOT of sulfur at the tail end of high krausen. I'm told saison yeasts can do that, especially when you're working in the lower half of the temperature range. I wouldn't worry about it unless the smell lingers as primary tapers.

I did a Cali Common a few months ago using S-23. It smelled like an outhouse in my brew cave. I almost called an exorcist. I think that strain of yeast needs some V.I.POO.

Oh yeah! I came home from work and sniffed around the airlock. It smells like really good beer! And the yeast is going nuts! It's like that science experiment with the mousetraps and ping pong balls. Totally psyched.

Back