Did I waste my money on 5.2 Stabilizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
So I decided I wanted to start to pay attention to my mash water. Not buy 3-4 chemicals to make it perfect but so more than use bottled spring water. On a whim I bought the 5.2. When I googled how to use it I was surprised to see all the posts and feedback saying not only should you NOT use it, but it makes beers worse if used by itself. Should I throw this on eBay and just stick to my usual bottled spring water? My beers before I used it were good and getting better. I thought this might move the needle (if only a tad) but I keep reading it's a sham and will hurt the beer. I know that is a complete contrast to what the company claims it does, so I'm guessing there's a comfortable middle between "ruining every beer that's brewed with it" and "just add this to your mash water and you're beer will win awards"

The ones I've spoken to which says it makes the beer better, are people with water coming from a well, hard water in other words. But basically, if you have "normal" soft water, it will not help. It will not "lock" down anything to 5.2, and depending on style and amount used, it can make a beer worse.

If you want to experiment with water chemistry, depending on you water though, I'd suggest you get CaCl, CaSO4, and phosphoric acid, and a water report, and a pH meter. You can make good beer without the pH meter, but that requires that the water report is accurate. Without a pHmeter you'll be able to ballpark the pH, but not fine tune it. But if you're in the ballpark (it tastes good), you can play with chlorides and sulfates, which has a more direct effect on mouthfeel.

The ones I've spoken to which says it makes the beer better, are people with water coming from a well, hard water in other words. But basically, if you have "normal" soft water, it will not help. It will not "lock" down anything to 5.2, and depending on style and amount used, it can make a beer worse.

If you want to experiment with water chemistry, depending on you water though, I'd suggest you get CaCl, CaSO4, and phosphoric acid, and a water report, and a pH meter. You can make good beer without the pH meter, but that requires that the water report is accurate. Without a pHmeter you'll be able to ballpark the pH, but not fine tune it. But if you're in the ballpark (it tastes good), you can play with chlorides and sulfates, which has a more direct effect on mouthfeel.

Ok but as I mentioned, I am using bottled spring water.

I bought TWO of those jars a while back, maybe 10 years ago. I thought it would be great, making my mash pH in line and be a panacea for my hard water.

It did not improve my beer, and it gave it a weird not-quite-salty taste. I used it twice, to make sure it wasn't just something in that one recipe.

In short, the 'stabilizer' just can't work and do what it is said to do. I love Five Star, and use many of their other products (like Acid #5, Star-san) but this product is junk.

Yes you did, welcome to the club!

This stuff might work sometimes by some coincidence, like the way a broken clock can display the "right" time twice a day.

But it is never correct!

I think a lot of us bought it. Once.

I may have used it once or twice before I pitched a full container. I went to RO and make additions as necessary. Much better results.

You may be able to find characteristic data for the bottled water you're using online. I've used Poland Springs in the past and added calcium salts into the strike water prior to the mash for light SRM ales.
Bottled spring water can be a better alternative to untreated tap or well water if you can verify what's in it, then match it to the style you want with a couple minor mineral additions.

Which comes through the ground, it might be that you have hard water, or not.. You just need to dig up some data for the ions in that water.

Luckily, brand-name waters usually have a water analysis you can find online or something. A lot of the off-brands are made by the same people, so a wide number if brands (say, the Kroger branded water and the Wal-Mart branded water, for example) will have the exact same breakdown. I used to use the Kroger spring water and would have to add stuff for my hoppier beers, otherwise it was OK where it was for most stuff.

*EDIT* Well, looks like Lefou said it first... LOL

Your "added stuff" for hoppier beers was probably extra gypsum.
I typically use a "balanced" profile and keep my malt-to-hops even with BU/GU ratio at .50 when using the store-bought "soft" bottled water. Works ok for pale ales and mildly hopped lighter beers I tend to be doing right now.

Back