Did I use to much water to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bottled another batch last week. It might be my best beer yet, it's a chocolate coffee porter that tastes AWESOME. Anyway, the point is I normally use one half cup of water with my priming sugar to bottle condition. This time I wasn't paying attention, possibly due to the fact that I was enjoying a few of my other brews, and used a full cup of water. I opened one up yesterday and it seems to be carbonating, just not as quickly as another batch I did that was very similar. The room temp is 75 degrees F as was the last batch. Did I use too much water? If not, what is "too much" water for the priming sugar? BTW it was a 5 gal batch.

One cup in 5 gallons shouldn't matter. As long as you use the same amount of sugar. I'd say a quart is probably pushing the line of too much water but even then it's probably fine.

Slow carbonation is probably due to alcohol content or yeast viability.

I generally use two cups of water to dissolve the corn sugar into. My thought process is with the lower concentration of sugar to the volume of water the solution will disperse more evenly in the bottling bucket.

May be a flawed thought process, but I don't feel 2 cups of water will have any impact on my beer.

I generally use two cups of water to dissolve the corn sugar into. My thought process is with the lower concentration of sugar to the volume of water the solution will disperse more evenly in the bottling bucket.

May be a flawed thought process, but I don't feel 2 cups of water will have any impact on my beer.

Ditto

Ill have to agree as all your fine. As for the time its taking no beer is the same so just be patient it will be good beer soon enough.

Latest posts

Back