Did I screw up my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
Yes, I know, RDWHAHB-- but I'm curious if I really messed up.

I made an Belgian Golden Strong with pilsen DME and sugar. It was supposed to be golden but the wort is light brown.

Here's the kicker-- I used light brown sugar instead of table sugar. I had it laying around so I used it... 1.5lbs per the recipe.

Does brown sugar add much color to beer? Will it change the taste in a huge way?

If it does change these things, what have I made? Did my Golden Strong become a Tripel or some other style?

I should note that I've never made a light colored beer before, so I have no idea how light/dark the wort normally is on golden beer styles.

Yes, don't worry about it.

Every time you use an extract to make a beer the color is going to be darker than it should. It is just the nature of the beast when it comes to extract brewing.

Yes, don't worry about it.

Every time you use an extract to make a beer the color is going to be darker than it should. It is just the nature of the beast when it comes to extract brewing.

so you think the color is due to the DME, not the light brown sugar? Again, I've never made a pale ale before...

The darker color would actually be from both. To answer the sugar part take a shot glass fill it half way with water and put in 1/2 a tsp of brown sugar and mix till dissolved, than take another shot glass and do the same with white table sugar. You will see the glass with the brown sugar light or not has a slightly darker color to it than the shot glass with the table sugar :mug:

I am willing to bet that brown sugar will affect the color and taste. Certainly not ruined! It might not be ready for competition in its target category, but I am sure it will still be imbibable!

The color also looks a lot darker in the fermenter. You don't mention how far you are in the process. Have you taken a hydrometer sample from the fermenter? When you get to that point you will see the beer is a lot lighter than you think.

The color also looks a lot darker in the fermenter. You don't mention how far you are in the process. Have you taken a hydrometer sample from the fermenter? When you get to that point you will see the beer is a lot lighter than you think.

Yeah, I did take a sample. It wasn't really dark but it was light brown, not blonde.

brown sugar is just table sugar with molasses. It will probably give some molasses tones, but there's not an awful lot of molasses in a light brown sugar, so it shouldn't give too much.

That doesnt sound right. It sould not be dark brown. Are you sure your used pisner DME and not amber DME?

That doesnt sound right. It sould not be dark brown. Are you sure your used pisner DME and not amber DME?

It's not dark brown-- it's pretty light but it's definitely brown and not yellow.

pilsen DME + light brown sugar (yes, it's pretty light) + hops + spices is all that I used.

I'm guessing that adding most of the DME late in the boil would have helped.

Yes, I know, RDWHAHB-- but I'm curious if I really messed up.

I made an Belgian Golden Strong with pilsen DME and sugar. It was supposed to be golden but the wort is light brown.

Here's the kicker-- I used light brown sugar instead of table sugar. I had it laying around so I used it... 1.5lbs per the recipe.

Does brown sugar add much color to beer? Will it change the taste in a huge way?

If it does change these things, what have I made? Did my Golden Strong become a Tripel or some other style?

I should note that I've never made a light colored beer before, so I have no idea how light/dark the wort normally is on golden beer styles.

I don't know, but it will probably be quite drinkable. My double IPA tastes like Duvel... oh well! It still tastes good!! RDWHAHB

Back