Did I Ruin My First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I know there is probably a similar post to this, but I have been browsing for a while now without much luck, So here it goes...

I received my first homebrew kit a few days ago, Brooklyn Brew Shop - A Well Made Tripel. I followed the directions very carefully and closely. After adding the dry yeast into the brew I had gone to bed for the evening. When I awoke I rushed to check on my brew... Nothing was happening. I gave the jug a good shake and suddenly saw bubbles appearing in my cup of sanitizer. The bubbles continued for about twelve hours and then ceased again. Once again I gave the jug another shake in hopes of awakening the yeast. It bubbled while i shook but then ceased once I stopped. (There is not much foam in the jug or my cup of sanitizer at the moment, but there is a ring around the bottom 1/3 of the jug.) I removed my blow off tube and replaced it with the airlocker. I am worried that something may have gone wrong due to the lack of bubbles and foam. I have not tested the gravity because my brew kit did not did not come with the hydrometer. Does this sound like there may be a problem? If so any ideas?

Sorry for the rookie post. I am very excited to brew and just want to ensure things are going to turn out okay. If you need any additional information just let me know. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to becoming part of the Home Brew Community.

STOP SHAKING YOUR FERMENTER TO MAKE YOUR AIRLOCK BUBBLE!!!!!!!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your beer, the answer is right here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-activity-gone-before-5-days-210459/#post2460863

If you shake your fermenter to make your superficial airlock bubble, then you will more than likely oxydize the heck out of your beer.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Everything will be fine...

:mug:

welcome FN! there is nothing wrong with your beer, leave it alone for a good 2 weeks. In the meantime go get yourself a hydrometer. when your gravity reading is the same 3 days in a row the initial fermentation is done but let it sit for another week, the yeast is still working away in there. I know your first brew is not an easy waiting game but your beer will thank you :mug:

edit - Revvy beat me to it

Everything will be fine...

:mug:

RDWHAHB
Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew
It's more than just a catchy phrase, it's something to live by when you first start brewing. My first half dozen batches I was a nervous wreck. Once I leared to adopt the RDWHAHB motto brewing became so much more fun!

So you brewed a Belgian Tripel as your first brew, huh? Well good on you! Nothing like diving in head first! However, beware that the Tripel is a high alcohol beer and like all other high alcohol beers it requires a lot of yeast cells. The yeasties need time to replicate before the fermentation gets going strong, so be patient! I'm assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you probably just pitched the yeast included with the kit. What type of yeast was it (manufacturer? dry or liquid? how many vials/packs?) Some strains of Belgian yeasts are slow to start and that may be a problem as well.

Unforunately he doesn't have any home brew yet... but drink whatever you have on hand and just sit back! The chance of dead yeast is really low, otherwise your beer is just fine. The worst (but important) step in homebrewing is WAITING! I pitch my yeast and forget about the beer for 3 or 4 weeks. By that time it should be done.

Wow! You guys are quick to respond. Thanks for reassuring me that my batch will be fine. I am so excited to try my first home brew. The waiting will be hard, but I am going to hold out as long as possible. As for the yeast that I used, it was a dry yeast made in Belgium. I don't remember the exact name. The strange part about the yeast that the kit came with is that it instructed me to use half the packet and throw the other half away. Don't get why they wouldn't just package half the amount, but maybe it's normal. Anyways I am trying not to gawk over my jug too much while I am waiting. Can't wait to try it out and start another. Thanks again everyone.

FN said:
The strange part about the yeast that the kit came with is that it instructed me to use half the packet and throw the other half away.
Do you remember how big (in grams) the yeast packet was? And did you only use half of it?

I believe that the yeast was an 11.5g packet from safbrew, although I could be wrong. I added about 2/3 of the packet and discarded the remaining 1/3. I thought this was a strange request from the directions, but I followed anyways.

Back