did i ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey4q2pal

Reaction score
og was supposed to be 1052-1056 but im reading 1064. the temp at time of reading is 70 degrees. Should I pitch an extra packet of yeast or will one safale 05 be enough? Am I still ok?:confused:

You are perfectly fine. You over shot your OG and your abv% will be a bit higher, no problem at all. You apparently got good extraction, congrats.

I'm assuming it is an extract mostly or partial mash. Your wort might not have been mixed well. Relax and let the yeast do their job.

Start with the one packet. You should be fine. If its needs help later you can pitch another packet but I doubt you'll have to.

Was it an extract kit with top up water? If so and, you ended up with the proper volume you probably had an OG of 1.052 and 1.056. Mixing the top up water thoroughly is often difficult.
Is you hydrometer accurate? It should measure 1.000 in 60 degree distilled water.

Other than that it is not that far off that I would have any concerns.

Back