Did i oxygenate my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleGroveAleworks

Reaction score
Today I kegged a beer out of my big mouth bubbler. Normally I use 3/8" tubing as it fits perfectly over the spigot and creates a tight seal.

However I noticed that it had some gunk buildup on the inside of the tube so I threw it away. I found some fresh 1/2" tubing, but once I let her rip, I realized it was slightly too big for the tip and the tubing never filled up with beer as I kegged it. It just kind of ran down the side of the tubing. I had plenty of length so there was no splashing, but I'm still very worried I just oxygenated the hell out of my beer. Any ideas? Thanks

Yes, you exposed the beer in the tubing to air.
And if you didn't purge the receiving keg, there was exposure there, too.
No way to metricize the extent, but I wouldn't sit on this batch...

Cheers!

Yes, you exposed the beer in the tubing to air.
And if you didn't purge the receiving keg, there was exposure there, too.
No way to metricize the extent, but I wouldn't sit on this batch...

Cheers!

I purge every keg about 20 pulls, so no concern there. So you think it's pretty oxidized regardless? There was 0 foaming splashing or bubbling. Thanks. I would compare it to sliding down a water slide at a very slow rate, around 1 gal every 2 minutes.

While it goes down the slide there's a large surface being exposed to air. Beer absorbs some of that air (the O2 component mostly). Now, how much air got sucked in with the slide is of the essence. If it is not sucking, just exposed to the air that was in the tube already, it isn't so bad. But if was sucking air...

Purging the headspace 15 times isn't going to remove the air that was adsorbed (and dissolved) by the beer. Sometimes slowly bubbling CO2 through the out diptube with the PRV open may remove some of it, before it binds to other beer components, 'cause that's what causes the off flavors and kills hop aroma/flavor. Purging, then force carbonating (rolling) may remove some too, but the agitation also speeds up the binding process. Catch 22.

Read up on pre-purging kegs, by filling them all the way with Starsan solution, then pushing it out with CO2. You then fill the keg through the out post (with a QD), and don't remove the lid. Lots of stuff recently about that method. Trying to keep air out and away from beer.

Back