Did I oxidize my RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
Sunday I brewed a RIS. It was supposed to have an OG of 1.107. I way undershot my OG and ended up at 1.082. Yesterday I boiled up 2 lbs of DME to add in to regain some of the gravity I missed.

When adding the DME, I was thinking I needed to aerate the beer to re-activate my fermentation. I sloshed the DME around, made sure it splashed when I poured and I stirred it up with a spoon to aerate it.

Afterwards, I realized I might have just oxidized the crap out of my RIS and ruined it. Any thoughts?

Was there still a krausen? Did you check gravity before you added the DME? You'll probably be okay, the yeast will consume the O2 as the ferment the extra sugar you added.

That was not a good thing to do. Once fermentation has started, you do not want to introduce any O2.

The O2 is used by the yeast to multiply. Your yeast are already at their final population, so will not add any more O2.

But ....... fermentation activity seems to push O2 out of solution, so you may be OK.

I woild expect it may not age as well as it might have if you hadn't done it.

I didn't take a gravity reading, I really should have. There was no krausen at that point.

This really sucks. I was hoping add bourbon soaked oak cubes and age this beer for a year.

If there wasn't any Krausen, Id say you are fine. O2 with ETOH causes acetic acid, but without the ETOH, no acetic acid forms. Just take it as a learning point for the future. Good luck with the brew and hopefully it turns out to your likings!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back