Did I miss my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbrew

Reaction score
I made a starter 2.5 days ago. 2L of water and 6oz DME. Normally I'm used to seeing little co2 bubbles in the starter and some krausen on the sides. For whatever reason I never saw that this time. Anecdotally I want to say that there is more yeast at the bottom, but I could just be imagining it.

I was hoping to brew tonight if my starter is ready, but I'm not sure if it finished and I missed it or if it just didn't go for some reason. What do you guys think I should do?

If you can draw off a sample and take a gravity reading, it would be helpful. Low gravity means it did something, high gravity means issues.

Oooooh ya. Thanks!

Gravity is still at 1.04. Could it be that it just hasn't taken off yet? It's been stored at California room temperature so it should be warm enough.

How old was the yeast? What temp when you pitched and what temp since then? Any aeration? Stir plate or shaking?

Yeast was 2 months old, white labs British ale yeast. Pitched and kept between 70 and 78 degrees. I aerated by shaking initially, and then a few times each day.

Fermentation just started. I guess the sticky about fermentation taking up to three days is true. I just hadn't seen it like this before.

Thanks everyone for the help. You are awesome as always.

Latest posts

Back