Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharrison72

Reaction score
When I re hydrated my yeast I re hydrated it in diluted star san water. It has been 24 hours and nothing yet in primary fermenter. I understand that it could take a few days to start, but I am just wandering if star san will kill the yeast?

When I re hydrated my yeast I re hydrated it in diluted star san water. It has been 24 hours and nothing yet in primary fermenter. I understand that it could take a few days to start, but I am just wandering if star san will kill the yeast?

If you truly opened the yeast and poured it into dilute Star-San solution, it is possible you have killed your yeast. That's what Star-San does - it uses acid to break down cell walls and kill whatever may be alive that it comes in contact with - including bacteria and yeast.

Next time, just put some Star-San in whatever vessel you're using to rehydrate your yeast and pour it out. Meanwhile, boil the volume of water you're using to rehydrate your yeast and then chill it back down to pitching temperatures (60-75 degrees Farenheit.) and then add your water to the sanitized vessel and then add the yeast to that. If you're just going to add the yeast to the vessel you boiled the water into, there's no need to use Star-San at all - the boiling will take care of all the sanitization you need. (Don't forget to sanitize anything you use to stir the yeast, like a spoon. In that case you can either boil it or use Star-San). Also ensure to sanitize your thermometer if you are using one to check the water temperature prior to adding your yeast.

It goes without saying, but Star-San requires a 30 second contact time to ensure that the surface is completely sanitized.

That does kind of sound like you messed up, yeah. How much starsan did you add to the beer? How dilute was it?

So I have never re-pitched yeast before. Will there be any negatives effects in the final outcome of the beer?

ps. thanks for the quick repose to OP, I find of new the answer, but I needed a second opinion.

It was kinda diluted. It was the water use to sanitize my primary fermenter bucket. I'll give it till tomorrow and if nothing happens I just re-pitch it. I'm just worried how that will effect the final outcome.

You should be fine just pitch again with properly dehydrated yeast and follow proper sanitation and there will most likely be no I'll effect

Latest posts

Back