Did I mess up my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_trout

Reaction score
Hey guys & galls, here's my situation...

I made my first yeast starter Friday afternoon from Wyeast 1272. The yeast from the smackpack was viable, I had a good swell on the pack after about 4 hours. I follow the directions from Northern Brewer that called for 1300ml of water and 1.5 cups of DME for my Black IPA with an OG of 1.075. Besides a small boilover when I added my DME all went fine. I've swirled the yeast every couple hours or so. When I swirl it up, I get a nice CO2 release from the wort. What concerns me is that I didn't get any type of krausen at all. Is this normal? Do you think I'll be ok to pitch this into my brew or should I just run out to the LHBS and grab a couple new packets? I'm planning on brewing this afternoon.

Krausen isn't always visible during starter fermentation. It never really has time to build up the convection of Co2 and floculate like your wort does.

Thanks for the repies guys. Im getting ready to pitch it in a few minutes. Confidence is high.

Same thing has happened to me, all you see are little bubbles. Pitch it and watch it work. Its sound like a good starter to me:mug:

I went ahead with this yesterday and she's working like a champ this morning. Thanks for the advice. :mug:

Good to hear that it worked for you. However I am a bit confused by Northern Brewers Starter directions. For the future you might want to look at Wyeast, White Labs or other sources for quantities. Usual spec is 10 x 1 ratio of water to DME.

Starter Recipe (Wyeast):
The optimal media for cell growth and health require using a malt based media (DME) fortified with nutrients. Gravity should be kept near 1.040 and cultures should be grown at 70°F.

Recipe
0.5 cup DME (100g, 3.5oz)
½ tsp Wyeast Nutrient
1qt.(1L) H2O

Yeah, as I looked around some places NBs directions didn't seem to be the norm. Being this was my first go round with a starter I thought it best to follow the instructions I was given but going forward I'm inclined to use some of the other resources available.

Back