Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

val214

Reaction score
I left behind a vial of white labs San Diego Super Yeast in my for 3.5 hours in my car. It was a bit warm outside and I am guessing the car temp was in the high 80's. Do you guys think the yeast it dead?

image-2619260124.jpg

You still have living cells in there, just refrigerate it and make a good sized starter before you use it.

WDT said:
You still have living cells in there, just refrigerate it and make a good sized starter before you use it.

I currently do not use a starter for my batches. Do you think it would work without a starter?

I currently do not use a starter for my batches. Do you think it would work without a starter?

It will work I am sure but you might not get very good attenuation, I would say this though wether you left it in your car or not. Those vials only have 100b cells when they are fresh. You lose about 25% viability per month. I would always suggest making starters.

If you have always only used 1 vial of yeast in your beers and you were happy with the outcome then just go ahead and pitch it. I personally try and ensure I am pitching the right amount of viable yeast so that my beers achieve the attenuation I am looking for. If it does not attenuate well that just means it might be a little sweeter than you intended. Some people are fine with that

If ur not making starters i'd chuck it and get a new one. Leaving it in the car is one thing. I think ur drastically low balling it saying the interior of the car was in the 80's, especially if it was warm outside.

Starter would bring it up to decent pitching rates in 24 hours but if ur not gonna do that, i'd be worried about low attenuation.

If you're not going to do starters, you should either pitch multiple vials (expensive) or use dry yeast. One very fresh vial straight from the store (no 3.5 hrs in a hot car interior) is marginal at best for a typical gravity 5 gallon ale batch.

Back