Did I kill my bugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Over the past week I drove from Alaska to Montana. I moved 12 bottles of Russian River and Cascade Brewing beer with me with plans of harvesting the dregs later. I can't get said beers in AK or MT, thus the trouble of moving them. I kept the bottles in my truck overnight some nights and temps got down into the high 20s. The beer didn't freeze, just got really cold. Are the bugs still viable? Just make a small starter with the dregs and find out for sure?

Over the past week I drove from Alaska to Montana. I moved 12 bottles of Russian River and Cascade Brewing beer with me with plans of harvesting the dregs later. I can't get said beers in AK or MT, thus the trouble of moving them. I kept the bottles in my truck overnight some nights and temps got down into the high 20s. The beer didn't freeze, just got really cold. Are the bugs still viable? Just make a small starter with the dregs and find out for sure?

I'm sure they're fine if they didn't freeze. A small starter wont hurt, but I'd probably pitch them as is.

If you could keep the bottles from breaking, you could take them down to absolute zero and the bugs would be fine once you warmed them back up. It's excessive heat that kills.

If you could keep the bottles from breaking, you could take them down to absolute zero and the bugs would be fine once you warmed them back up. It's excessive heat that kills.

Ya, but as you near absolute zero, your beer will enter a state of superfluidity and it would just float out of your glass, not to mention time and space loose reference when your beer actually reaches absolute zero. Just sayin'.

Coors Light is best served at absolute zero. The mountains should be cobalt blue, close to cyan at this point. Ready to slam. Bikini supermodels not included.

Latest posts

Back